Students wait in line for a photo booth at Fresno State’s Night at Campus Pointe on Thursday, August 25, 2022. (Carlos Rene Castro/The Collegian)

Fresno State Night welcomes new Bulldogs to Campus Pointe

Jerry Gomez, the coordinator of Off-Campus Student Life (OCSL), wanted commuter students at Fresno State to feel more involved in the campus community. Rather than their routine of leaving on Highway 41 or California 99, students had a chance to stick around for a night of entertainment and socializing. 

On Thursday, OCSL­hosted Fresno State Night at Campus Pointe, an event aimed to attract students and strengthen their connection with the university.

Hosted by Off-Campus Student Life (OCSL), the event aimed to attract students and strengthen their connection with the university. 

“We hope to build Bulldog Spirit, a sense of connection with our students and for students to have a great time out here,” said Jerry Gomez, the OCSL Coordinator. “We want to build that connection with our commuter students that tend to have a hard time finding a sense of belonging here.”

Attendees were greeted with an inflatable bulldog overlooking the event. Music and lights filled Campus Pointe, inviting them to join the festivities. Students were required to check in with their ID numbers and sign a waiver to participate in activities such as roller skating, airbrush tattoos, rock climbing, posing for photo booths and more.

The event saw significant student turnout, with over 100 students packing the lines and the dance floor. 

“I like it, I heard about this event while working at the campus,” said Jorge Bahena, a transfer student and Junior majoring in creative writing. 

Fresno State Night at Campus Pointe was the final event for “Welcome Week,” a series of events intended to help students “experience the excitement of campus traditions and activities alongside fellow Bulldogs,” according to the website. The week began with a resource fair featuring the various resources available to students on campus. Other events included music in the University Student Union (USU) pit every afternoon, free glow-in-the-dark bowling sessions at Bulldog Bowl and a sunset picnic with a screening of the film “Lightyear.”