Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval during an open forum on March 24, 2021 at Room 118 in the North Gym . (Jesús Cano/The Collegian)

President Jiménez-Sandoval makes statement on Roe v. Wade decision

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval said that all people “unequivocally deserve the right to make decisions about [their] own health and future” in a statement released Saturday morning in reaction to the reversal of Roe v. Wade on June 24.

The U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and declared that the constitutional right to abortion no longer exists, reversing the landmark decision established nearly 50 years ago.

“While the basic protections around a woman’s right to choose will remain in California, as a university that espouses the freedom to be, think and pursue a professional career, we are committed to supporting and advocating for the rights and standing that the decision to overturn Roe v. Wade calls into question,” Jiménez-Sandoval said.

Reactions to the reversal began nationwide, and in Fresno a protest took place Saturday morning at city hall, according to The Fresno Bee.

In California, abortion will remain legal. Gov. Gavin Newsom signed AB 1666 on Friday, a legislation that seeks to protect patients and providers in California against attempts from other states to extend anti-abortion laws across state lines.

“With today’s Supreme Court decision to endanger the health and safety of millions of women across the country, California must do everything it can to protect the fundamental rights of all women — in California and beyond,” Newsom said. 

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to overturn Roe v. Wade. The ruling followed a 6-3 decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which upheld a Mississippi law concerning a 15-week abortion ban.

Justice Samuel Alito, writing for the court majority, said that the Roe v. Wade 1973 ruling was “egregiously wrong and on a collision course with the Constitution from the day it was decided.”