Fresno State forward Orlando Robinson prepares to pass the ball to one of his teammates against UNLV on Feb. 16, 2022 at the Save Mart Center. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

Orlando Robinson signs with Miami Heat as undrafted free agent

After going undrafted in the 2022 NBA Draft, former Fresno State 7-foot forward Orlando Robinson signed with the Miami Heat as an undrafted free agent (UDFA) and is expected to play in his hometown of Las Vegas for the NBA 2K23 NBA Summer League 2022 next month.

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski broke the news on Saturday morning, which was confirmed by Fresno State athletics’ director of strategic communications Stephen Trembley a few hours later.

In the 2021-22 season, Robinson averaged 19.4 points, 8.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game, shooting nearly 50% from the field and 35% from three.

He started all 36 games, helping the team go 23-13, and was one of two players in NCAA history to have recorded at least 700 points, 300 rebounds and 100 assists throughout those games.

Fresno State forward Orlando Robinson prepares to attempt a free throw against UNLV on Feb. 16, 2022 at the Save Mart Center. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

The Bulldogs also won The Basketball Classic presented by ERACISM and the 2021 Venue Twin Southern California Challenge, where Robinson was named MVP in both tournaments.

After declaring for the draft in May, Robinson thanked Fresno State’s coaching staff and the Red Wave for their support during his three seasons with the team.

“Fresno State… I can’t believe it’s been three years already. Just yesterday I remember walking around campus telling myself, ‘I could get used to this,’” Robinson said on Instagram.

Robinson could potentially make his debut for the Heat before the Summer League begins, when Miami takes on the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings in San Francisco at the fourth annual California Classic on July 2-3. If he makes an NBA roster this fall, he will be the 32nd Bulldog to play in the NBA.

Miami Heat’s 2022 Summer League begins on July 9 against Boston. The game will be aired on NBATV at 2:30 p.m.

Miami Heat’s 2022 Summer League Schedule

• July 9: vs. Boston at 2:30 p.m. PT (NBATV)
  • July 12: vs. Atlanta at 4 p.m. PT (NBATV)
  • July 13: vs. Philadelphia at 6 p.m. PT (ESPNU)
  • July 15: vs. Toronto at 7 p.m. PT (NBATV)
  • July 16 or 17: Playoff Game TBD, based on seeding
Fresno State forward, Orlando Robinson being introduced at the game against UNLV on Feb. 16, 2022 at the Save Mart Center. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)