Xuanning Fu addresses attendees of the second annual pride flag raising on June 1, 2022. (Jannah Geraldo/The Collegian)

Fresno State officially names Xuanning Fu as new provost

Fresno State officially named Dr. Xuanning Fu to be its new provost and vice president for academic affairs, effective immediately, on June 8.­

Fu served as interim provost, the university’s chief academic officer, since his appointment in January 2021.

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval announced the promotion and praised Fu’s collaboration with other faculty, leadership and students on campus so far, particularly during COVID-19. 

“I’m grateful for Dr. Fu’s focused and heartfelt efforts during the pandemic. His expertise, careful and steady vision for academic affairs and his collaborative and consultative approach has provided the division with clear direction and solid leadership,” Jiménez-Sandoval said.

Fu obtained his bachelor’s and master’s degree in China and taught at the Ocean University of China as an assistant professor of English before coming to the United States as an international student in 1989. He then received his doctorate degree in sociology from Brigham Young University, Hawaii in 1994, before serving as director of institutional research on campus until 1999.

In 2000 Fu came to California to be a member of the founding team of University of California, Merced, as a principal analyst. 

Fu later transitioned to Fresno State as a sociology faculty member in 2003, being promoted to full professorship in 2007. Since 2003 Fu has worked on campus as associate dean of the college of social sciences, dean of undergraduate studies and vice provost before his appointment as interim provost.

Fresno State News previously recognized Fu for service toward campus groups like the Student Success Task Force, the Graduative Initiative TEAM, the WASC re-accreditation executive committee, the Student Learning Outcome Assessment Team, the President’s Commission on Human Relations and Equity, the Integrated Marketing and Communications Council, the President’s Task Force on Internationalization and th University Strategic Plan Advisory Committee.

More recently Fu served as co-chair of the COVID-19 planning task force and was considered “instrumental” in Fresno State receiving two grants over $1 million, according to Fresno State News.

The provost said he was “humbled and honored” by his promotion.

“I am determined and energized to further advance student success and faculty/staff excellence, empowering all I work with to prepare and educate the next generation of leaders in the Valley and the world,” Fu said.