The senior exhibition portfolio show invited the community to network with graphic design students. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

‘Revival’ celebrates in-person senior portfolio and ADDY Award recipients

Fresno State graphic design seniors celebrated both the return to an in-person portfolio show and American Advertising Federation Regional (District 14) ADDY Award winning student works during the “Revival” exhibition’s reception last Friday.

“Revival” marked the return to the in-person format since COVID-19. The name, chosen by Hannah Noonkester, an interactive multimedia student, was voted on by her peers and intended to convey the revival of the tradition of the portfolio show.

“We’ve been missing out on that, and it’s also a revival of ourselves, getting back out there into the world and to life and kind of living again [after the pandemic]. It really meant a lot to us,” Noonkester said.

Noonkester transferred into the graphic design program from cognitive science due to the support and talent of the department.

Noonkester’s MPath Mental Health and Wellness App concept, which is part of her portfolio. (Courtesy of Hannah Noonkester)

“[They] do so much for their students, [to] prepare them along the way to graduate and to be out there in the real world,” she said.

The exhibition marks the completion of the GD 180 class, which Noonkester said is centered around the showcase and encouraging students to develop their own brand and “put themselves out there.”

“We prepare for the showcase by creating our own brand, creating a portfolio, creating a portfolio website and those boards that [are at the exhibit], and all the giveaway items. In addition, we also apply to award shows and try to put our work out there and make contacts with people that way,” Noonkester said.

Noonkester’s Southern Sierra Watershed District website, which is part of her portfolio. (Courtesy of Hannah Noonkester)

The graphic design major includes three tracks — graphic design, illustration and interactive multimedia — which are all on display at the exhibit.

Grant Woods, a graphic design student and founder of “Thumbprint Designs,” displayed his multiple ADDY Award winning works at the exhibit. Woods won three golds at the regional level after being encouraged by his professor to enter, and is now waiting to hear back on whether or not he will move on to the nationals in Nashville. He credited Fresno State’s graphic design department with helping him succeed.

Woods and his father worked on the design for his exhibition set-up. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

“My professors and classmates have always pushed me to work harder. Our major is very small, so it is easy to get a close connection with the professors,” he said.

In total Fresno State graphic design students won six gold and 33 silver ADDY Awards in the regional level.

Some of Woods’ ADDY Award winning works on display at the exhibition. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

Sandra Xiong, an aspiring mangaka, or manga writer and illustrator, is a student in the illustration track who has found assistance from the graphic design department in building on her drawing skills.

Xiong has been working on her manga “Lovely Tails” since she was 10 years old and hoped that “Revival” would give exposure to her series.

Xiong has been working on her manga, “Lovely Tails,” featuring main character Kiyoko, since she was 10 years old. (Courtesy of Sandra Xiong)

“The show was a good experience to showcase your work, to network with agencies and to build a beginning audience with your work. I personally would like to join a manga or webtoon industry so that I can publish my story for the world to see,” she said.

These students’ works will be available for viewing in the Phebe Conley Gallery through May 13. Gallery hours are Monday – Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Fresno State staff, faculty, students and community members attended the 2022 senior portfolio exhibition. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)