Fresno State forward Orlando Robinson prepares to pass to a teammate against Nevada on Feb. 5, 2022 at the Save Mart Center. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

Orlando Robinson declares for NBA Draft, in Chicago for NBA Combine

Reports from ESPN NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski that Fresno State’s 7-foot forward Orlando Robinson would be hiring an agent and entering the Microsoft Surface 2022 NBA Draft Combine May 18-20 have been confirmed.

Fresno State director of strategic communications Stephen Trembley confirmed the news on Tuesday, and that afternoon Robinson made his goodbye official on an Instagram post thanking Fresno State’s coaching staff, academic office, fans and teammates.

“Fresno State… I can’t believe it’s been three years already. Just yesterday I remember walking around campus telling myself, ‘I could get used to this,’” he said.

During his 2021-22 season Robinson recorded 700 points, 301 rebounds and 103 assists. This was enough to make him one of two players in NCAA history with at least 700 points, 300 rebounds and 100 assists in a season.

That season Robinson averaged 19.4 points and 8.4 rebounds per game. The Bulldogs went 23-13 overall, winning The Basketball Classic and the 2021 Venue Twin Southern California Challenge.

Robinson was named MVP in both tournaments.

Fresno State forward Orlando Robinson avoids a block to score against Nevada on Feb. 5, 2022 at the Save Mart Center. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

He was a finalist for the 2021-22 Lefty Driesell Award, which is given to Division I’s top defensive player each year, and earned first-team All-Mountain West and NABC All-District honors in 2022.

Robinson played with the Las Vegas Knicks, an Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) program, in high school before choosing to play for Fresno State over Boise State, Georgia Tech and Oregon State. At the time recruiting interest in him came from schools around the country.

In his freshman season as a Bulldog he was the only team member to play — and start — in all 30 games. He started all 24 games of his sophomore season as well, averaging 31.9 minutes and 14.6 points, 9.2 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game.

By the end of the season he flirted with the NBA by declaring for the 2021 NBA Draft, but didn’t hire an agent in order to retain his eligibility to return to play for his junior season. In July 2021, he withdrew and returned to Fresno State for his record-breaking final season.

Now Robinson is one step closer in the journey toward the 2022 NBA Draft, which will be held on June 23. He is projected to go late in the first round or early second, according to NBADraft.net.

Robinson’s Instagram story showed him arriving in Chicago for the combine on Tuesday, but he promised friends he’d be back in Fresno.

“I will never forget the time I had in Fresno. And to all my homies waiting to get tacos [with] me, don’t worry. I’ll be back soon,” he said.