Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval said Fresno County is interested in making an oncampus vaccination spot for monkeypox. (Jesús Cano/The Collegian)

Jiménez-Sandoval awarded Robert C. Maxson President of the Year

The Cal State Student Association (CSSA) named Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval as the 2021-22 recipient of the Robert C. Maxson President of the Year award during the CSU Board of Trustees meeting on May 24.

“In the past year, President Jiménez-Sandoval has stood out in the eyes of our students due to his embodiment of a commitment to a student-centered shared governance,” said CSSA president Isaac Alferos.

“In all things, [Jiménez-Sandoval has] actively included and sought the guidance of student leaders at Fresno State and has sought the expansion of critical programs aimed at addressing systemic inequities.”

The Robert C. Maxson President of the Year award, named after former Long Beach State president Robert C. Maxson, is awarded annually to one CSU campus president who reflects a commitment to the mission of CSSA.

The CSSA is a non-partisan, nonprofit student organization that works to advocate for access to affordable CSU education and to “ensure that the students are at the forefront of higher education policy in California,” according to its website

“I am incredibly honored to receive this recognition from our system’s talented students. With their boundless energy and dynamic creativity, our students illuminate the path before us,” Jiménez-Sandoval said to Fresno State News

Jiménez-Sandoval was appointed as the ninth president of Fresno State in May 2021. He previously served as the dean for the College of Arts and Humanities, and was provost and vice president of academic affairs in 2019.