Cinthya Arriaga Sanchez during the ASI presidential debate on April 26, 2022. She was announced as the 2022-23 ASI president Thursday afternoon. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

Cinthya Arriaga Sanchez elected as new ASI president

Cinthya Arriaga Sanchez was announced as the 2022-23 Associated Students Inc. (ASI) president Thursday afternoon.

Arriaga Sanchez won the seat with a 21-vote margin, receiving 274 votes, and winning the seat from candidates D’Aungillique Jackson and Aidan Garaygordobil.

Jackson received 253 votes and Garaygordobil received 169 votes. There were 14 write-in votes and 14 abstaining votes.

Arriaga Sanchez, who joined the presidential race during the special election process, said she felt “honored and humbled” to be elected as the newest ASI president.

“I promise to make this year one of Fresno State’s best. I look forward to hearing from you, students. I’ll be using this platform as a way to empower and advocate for all of the changes you all wish to see on campus,” she said.

Arriaga Sanchez will take office beginning June 1, 2022.

Election Commissioner Alex Walker announced the results at 1 p.m. in University Student Union (USU) Room 308 and live on the ASI Facebook page.

The special election process was approved by an ASI student court ruling following the disqualification of former presidential candidate Edward Thurber to prevent the upcoming ASI senate from entering the 2022-23 academic year without a sitting president, which has happened in past years.

Former candidate Thurber appealed his disqualification, however Carolyn Coon, interim vice president for Student Affairs, rejected his appeal and upheld the student court’s decision for disqualification.

The votes were tallied by the League of Women Voters.