The immersive three-dimensional exhibit opened in Fresno to the public on Friday, May 27. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

‘Beyond Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience’ opens in Fresno

While the largest collection of post-impressionist artist Vincent Van Gogh’s works can only be viewed at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, Fresno now has its own way to experience over 300 of his iconic pieces. 

“Beyond Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience” opened at the Fresno Convention & Entertainment Center on Friday, May 27.

The immersive exhibit opened to the public in Fresno on Friday, May 27. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

Composed of over 4 trillion content pixels, the exhibit projects moving displays of famous artworks like “The Starry Night” and “Café Terrace at Night” onto every surface around viewers, occupying over 30,000 square feet.

The three-section exhibit was created by French-Canadian creative director Mathieu St-Arnaud and his team at Montreal’s Normal Studio, and produced by Paquin Entertainment Group. It opens with the Introduction Hall, which shows viewers quotes and excerpts from Van Gogh’s correspondence with his brother, Theo.­

The Introduction Hall includes excerpts from Van Gogh’s correspondence with his brother, Theo. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

Afterwards the Waterfall Room serves as a transitory space from the static Introduction Hall to the three-dimensional facets of the third room, which features the experience itself. St-Arnaud calls the experience “an imaginative and fully-immersive adventure.”

“Through the use of cutting-edge 3D projection technology and music to illuminate all of [Van Gogh’s] genius, guests can experience the artist with all their senses,” St-Arnaud said.

A full experience of the exhibit takes approximately one hour to walk through. A cashless gift shop is included at the end, featuring posters, prints, puzzles, clothing and more depicting Van Gogh’s artworks.

A cashless gift shop is included at the end of the exhibit. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

Fanny Curtat, who served as the art history consultant for the exhibit, told Forbes that the experience is suitable for people who may feel “intimidated” by museums, or “feel like art is not for them.”

“This experience allows [viewers] to connect differently with artworks by setting foot in the world envisioned by Van Gogh,” she said.

“Beyond Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience” has sold over three million tickets globally. Justin Paquin, co-producer of Paquin Entertainment, highlighted the exhibit’s ability to resonate with audiences internationally. 

“Unsurprisingly, millions of people all over the world credit Van Gogh with enhancing their relationship with art. [This exhibit] will only strengthen that connection,” Paquin said.

One of Van Gogh’s self-portraits, projected in the exhibit. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

The exhibit will be on display in the convention center in Exhibit Hall C through July 17 and will run Wednesdays through Sundays. The hours are Wednesday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Thursday 12 – 8 p.m., Friday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Final entry is one hour before close.

Tickets are available for purchase online at VanGoghFresno.com. They cannot be purchased at the door. From Friday through Sunday and on holidays tickets are $49.99 for those ages 16 and older, and $28.99 for those ages 5-15. Otherwise, tickets are $39.99 for those ages 16 and older, and $23.99 for those ages 5-15.

The immersive experience includes projected images on every surface around viewers. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)