Students recreated images of their favorite celebrities and characters during the Glass Paint Social event. (Julia Espinoza/The Collegian)

Off-Campus Student Life hosts ‘Glass Paint Social’ for students to destress

Off-Campus Student Life (OCSL) provided a space on April 19 for Fresno State students to connect and relieve stress with final exams approaching. 

OCSL’s event called Glass Paint Social helped students connect with people and get involved in university programs, as part of its ongoing mission to help students who are living off campus.

Although the Glass Paint Social was open to all students, the event was primarily aimed toward those who commute to school. 

“Typically commuter students, they’ll come to the parking lot, they’ll go to class, maybe grab something to eat, and then head back home. They don’t really have the opportunity to explore the campus. Through a casual event like this, it’s one event closer to them being successful,” said Jerry Gomez, the coordinator of OCSL. 

“This is really nice for a stress thing because it’s not really something I’m that into, so I feel OK with messing up, which is not quite the same with classes right now,” said Katie Davenport, a second-year Fresno State student.

For the event, tables were set up in the Memorial Gardens in front of the Kennel Bookstore and were equipped with art supplies for students to paint their favorite fictional characters on small, clear canvases. 

Students gathered together to destress before final exams for the Glass Paint Social event. (Julia Espinoza/The Collegian)

OCSL organizers decided to host this event after a similar successful social last semester, according to Gomez. The event was put together by the neighborhood ambassadors within the program, making it an event created by students for students.

“It gives me a little time to focus just on what I’m doing, and stop worrying about what I have to study for or when I’m taking my next exam,” said Ana Rosas, a neighborhood ambassador.

With the event taking place after spring break, it helped students ease into the final stretch of the semester.

“Especially since we are getting back to classes right now, having this event is nice, and students will get to destress a bit before the coming weeks,” said Keyanna Pinto, another neighborhood ambassador for OCSL. 

Volunteer opportunities are currently available for students interested in the OCSL program.