A.C. Hummel in her singles match against Colorado State on March 27 at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. (Melina Kazanjian/ The Collegian)

Fresno State tennis continues its undefeated MW season

The Fresno State women’s tennis team has been well underway as it rides on a 10-game winning streak. The women remain undefeated in their Mountain West (MW) season with an 8-0 record. 

Last season, the Bulldogs were 6-1 at this point in the MW conference. Now they surpass last season’s overall mark of 8-2 with their 8-0 record. 

They continued to carry a 10 game winning streak and finished their season with an undefeated home record at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. 

No. 65 ranked, the Bulldogs notched wins against Air Force and New Mexico during Spring Break. The ‘Dogs beat Air Force 4-2 and New Mexico 4-1. 

In their game against Air Force, the Bulldogs rallied in singles after falling short for the doubles point. Fresno State responded to the doubles point loss by taking four first sets as it started the singles play. Carlotta Nonnis Marzano and Carolina Piferi closed it out with straight set victories, leading the Falcons 2-1. 

Their match against New Mexico started on a similar beat. The Bulldogs lost their doubles point to the Lobos, but came back strong in singles. 

No. 1 Pang Jittakoat started the singles matches out strong in her quick match, winning her first set 6-2, and the second, 6-1. Her victory tied up the Bulldogs and the Lobos. 

Nonnis Marzano, Cristina Flaquer and Matilde Magrini won straight sets against the Lobos, with Magrini securing the clinching point for the Bulldogs. 

The Bulldogs have improved to 33-8 overall (16-2 in MW matches) in the two seasons head coach Denise Dy has been with the team. 

Fresno State has been ranked nationally (No. 65) for the eighth consecutive week in the ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings. With the team’s unbeaten record in conference play, it is in sole possession of first place in the MW. 

The Bulldogs will take on Boise State and Utah State in Boise for their final MW matches this weekend. They then head to the Mountain West Championships in Tucson at the end of April.