The Dream Success Center hosted a week of events, beginnig with the opening event on April 4. (Adam Ricardo Solis/The Collegian)

DREAM Week highlights resources for undocumented students

The Dream Success Center held a series of events throughout the week of April 4 to share information and awareness about resources available to AB540, undocumented and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students, faculty and staff.

The series of events, called DREAM Week, was hosted by Susana Hernández, associate professor and chair of the department of educational leadership, Luis Fernando Macías, assistant professor for the department of Chicano and Latin American studies and Gaby Encinas, coordinator of the Dream Success Center. 

They created the event after learning about the challenges undocumented students face in college, Encinas said.

Macías noted that they wanted their research “out of libraries” and “out of obscure academic journals” to make DREAM Week more of a conversation than a presentation. 

DREAM Week included a variety of events such as a virtual panel with an immigrant legal defense that shared information about free and confidential immigration services that have been available to Fresno State students, faculty and staff over the past three years.

During the opening event, Macías spoke on how events like DREAM Week take a certain amount of risk for some “because the issues on undocumentation in the Central Valley are very real,” and speaking out on issues or looking for help can often lead to discrimination.

“So how is it that we approach that type of de-stigmatization, while also honoring the realities that we do have a very strong anti-immigrant contingency right outside these walls?” Macías said.

The opening event of DREAM Week detailed the history of the Dream Success Center at Fresno State. (Adam Ricardo Solis/The Collegian)

The screening of “The Infiltrators,” a documentary depicting the efforts of activists who were purposefully detained in order to go undercover at a private detention center, sparked conversations during the Q&A with the documentarians, Marco Saavedra and Viridiana Martinez, about how to get involved with activism, as well as their inspiration for being activists.

“Start with grounding yourself, whether that be in family or faith or community, and then healthy practices,” Saavedra said. 

Reflecting on her time advocating for others who were undocumented, Saavedra said that she was only able to stay motivated and focused on her goal because she knew the people she was helping could have been her or someone from her family.

“I hate to be the bearer of bad news or to burst anybody’s bubble, but activism that is effective is going to ruffle a lot of feathers. If you’re doing it right, you will get burned out, and there will be a lot of people that don’t like you. But I think that’s how you know you’re doing it right,” Martinez said.
For more information such as financial aid for dreamers, immigration legal services, workshops and events, academic success tools and other campus resources for AB540, undocumented or DACA students, the Dream Sucess Center can be contacted at (559) 278-1554 or find it on social media @fresnostatedsc on Instagram and on Facebook @Fresno State Dream Sucess Center or visit its website.