Fresno State guard Hanna Cavinder looks for an open pass to a teammate in their conference game against Colorado State, Jan. 24, 2022 at the Save Mart Center. (Melina Kazanjian/ The Collegian)

Cavinder twins announce transfer to University of Miami

Social media influencers Haley and Hanna Cavinder are trading their red, white and blue uniforms for orange, green and black. 

After entering the transfer portal in March 2022, the Cavinders announced their transfer to the University of Miami. 

The Hurricanes confirmed the Cavinders’ signing when the women’s basketball team posted on its social media to welcome the twins, who are currently some of the main faces of the Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) era.

“WHAT’S UP MIAMI,” Haley and Hanna both said on their social media accounts in their new uniforms.

The twins played for three seasons at Fresno State, and averaged a combined 34.2 points per game while also building a following of nearly 400,000 followers on each of their Instagram accounts and amassing over 4 million followers on their shared TikTok account. 

“When we got on campus [in Miami], there was just a vibe and a feeling you get when you know it is the right decision,” Haley Cavinder said in a USA Today article. “I just think with Coach Katie [Meier] and the leader she is and what she has done with the program, there is something that we were so attracted to, and I think we knew when leaving Miami that we wanted to come back.”

The Cavinders join  90 football players and Hurricanes athletes who have received NIL deals recently. The Hurricanes will possibly be the new gold standard for NIL for their plan to land deals for every single scholarship athlete on their rosters. 

This past season Miami welcomed an average of 1,378 fans at home and went 21-13 for their season. Haley enters the Hurricanes with the most season points for the 2021-2022 season, with the Hurricanes’ Kelsey Marshall following her.

Fresno State guard Haley Cavinder looks for an open pass to a teammate in their conference game against Colorado State, Jan. 24, 2022 at the Save Mart Center. (Melina Kazanjian/ The Collegian)