Wyatt Bible
The Fresno State Softball team celebrates it’s win over Saint Mary’s after the first game of the doubleheader on April 5, 2022 at Margie Wright Diamond. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Bulldog softball splits double header against St. Mary’s

After struggling to generate momentum the entire season, Fresno State’s softball program seems to have found its footing in its latest few series. 

The ‘Dogs have won three of their last five games,—  a Mountain West series win over San Jose State and a split double header series against Saint Mary’s Tuesday night. 

With the team officially two-thirds into the season, this stretch has accounted for one-third of its total wins. 

Tuesday night’s double header displayed the progress the ‘Dogs have made throughout the season as they battled Saint Mary’s in a low scoring affair.­­

Sophomores Cassidy West (left) and Alyssa Orr (right) celebrate after getting the final out to end the first game of the doubleheader­against Saint Mary’s on April 5, 2022 at Margie Wright Diamond. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Despite Fresno State eventually winning the first game of its matchup 2-0, both teams combined for just three hits through the first five innings of play. 

Senior pitcher Casey Dixon led the ‘Dogs defensively with a remarkable performance,d allowing two hits and one walk in 4.2 innings. Cassidy West came in relief and closed the game by allowing only two total baserunners in 2.1 innings.  

Kacey Hvitved started things off for the ‘Dogs offensively by doubling to left field in the first inning. And after both Alesia Denby and Vanessa Hernandez drew back-to-back walks, the team had bases loaded with two outs.  but Avery Lawley struck out in the next at-bat. 

Aside from a Saint Mary’s single, both teams failed to produce a baserunner until the fifth inning. 

In the top frame of the inning, Saint Mary’s stranded two base runners who had reached on a walk and a single respectively. Fresno State responded with an Alana Cobb-Adams walk which served as its first base runner since the second inning. 

Fresno State’s offense came alive when they needed it the most, late into the sixth inning. Denby found herself in scoring position with two outs after Emery Nielson performed a sacrifice bunt to the pitcher. 

The ‘Dogs now had a runner in scoring position with two outs, a position they had found themselves in three times earlier into the game. 

Mackenna Steele singled the next at-bat to put two runners on base that was then cleared by Bailey Williams who hit a two-RBI triple into left-center.The hit was the deciding factor of the game and secured Fresno State its third consecutive win, a feat they had not accomplished since May of 2021.­

Sophomore Alyssa Orr connects with the ball while at bat against Saint Mary’s on April 5, 2022 at Margie Wright Diamond. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Although they had won their third consecutive game, the ‘Dogs only had a half-an-hour break before they needed to face Saint Mary’s again. 

In their second matchup the Gaels took control early throughout their 6-0 victory. 

Saint Mary’s began with four runs in the opening frame, the first three of which came from Indya Smith and Ellen Ebbers both knocking in two runners. 

The next three runs were all produced by third baseman Lindsay Cabral. 

Fresno State only managed four hits and six total baserunners while being shut out. 

In each of their last three wins, the ‘Dogs have produced runs considerably late into the respective games while not allowing the other team to score after the fourth inning. 

Fresno State now sits at 9-27 overall with a 2-7 record in conference play. 

The ‘Dog’s improvement will be put to the test this weekend as they host Utah State, who currently holds a perfect 6-0 conference record and sit at second place in the Mountain West.

Sophomore Alesia Denby slides back to third­against Saint Mary’s on April 5, 2022 at Margie Wright Diamond. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)