Wyatt Bible
Junior Carlotta Nonnis Marzano (right) and Sophomore Carolina Piferi (left) compete in doubles against Saint Mary’s College on Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022, at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Tennis shows strong outing in non-conference play

Fresno State’s women’s tennis team clinched their eighth win of the season at home, defeating the Pacific Tigers 6-1. 

This season the Bulldogs are 8-2 in their overall record, with a 3-0 home match winning streak. They brought home wins over UCSD, Point Loma, Sacramento State, Saint Mary’s, BYU, San Francisco, Santa Clara and Pacific. 

The two losses the ‘Dogs carry are against San Diego, with a 1-6 loss, and Cal Poly, with a 0-4 loss. 

This season, two players have been named Mountain West Player of the Week: Pang Jittakoat and Matilde Magrini, receiving two Mountain West Freshman of the Week honors. 

Head coach Denise Dy said an athlete playing high in the line-up as a freshman is a special thing, instead of lower down like normal, referencing Magrini and her performance so far this season.

“I think the reason why she is where she is is because she’s probably one of the hardest workers on the team. She does a lot of time on court. Outside the court she’s a very responsible student athlete, a high level D1 athlete and her goals are to play pro tennis when she graduates,” Dy said.

Magrini praised her teammates for the level she’s reached as a freshman. She highlighted their energy and the opportunity to play with her teammate Dalia Ahmed, 2021 MW Player of the Year

“It’s amazing for me to play with them. And right now I think the team [is] really good, really good energy,” Magrini said. 

Freshman Matilde Magrini rallies in doubles against Saint Mary’s College on Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022, at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

With wins over St. Mary’s and BYU, the Bulldogs have continued to make a run with their eight wins this season. Dy said she hopes these wins will continue in future matches, noting the challenges that will continue into the season.  

“But at the same time, you’re just going to have to really be ready and understand that people are going to get after us now,” Dy said. 

With Ahmed’s plans on playing professionally after college, she said she hopes to have her name on the tennis court walls just like her sisters, Rana Ahmed and Mayar Ahmed, who each earned MW Freshman of the Year honors. Rana Ahmed became the first four-time All-MW Singles Team selection at Fresno State, and teamed up with Mayar Ahmed in 2016 for All-American honors in doubles. 

“I wanted my name to be out for them. I’m trying to achieve that with playing, to have All-American and doubles. I’m trying to achieve that. I’m very excited for my senior year and I will do my best to achieve my goals,” Ahmed said. 

The women of the team cheer on their teamates in the remaining doubles match against Saint Mary’s College on Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022, at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)