Over 70 students visited the Richter Center recruitment fair, according to Taylan Bennett. (Jesús Cano/The Collegian)

Richter Center recruitment fair connects students with volunteer opportunities

The Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning connected students with on and off-campus volunteer organizations during its first spring recruitment fair on Wednesday, March 16. 

The recruitment fair, held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the memorial gardens outside the Kennel Bookstore, hosted organizations like Read Fresno, Central Valley College Corps, Richter Center Student Leaders, Jumpstart Fresno and Scholars in Service. 

Multiple tables were present to convey available resources to students. (Jesús Cano/The Collegian)

Kayla Ferreira, third-year liberal studies major at Fresno State, started working with the Richter Center last August and helped host the event. 

“Our goal was to help students connect with programs that they may benefit from. We hope that students now feel well-informed about our various programs and who to contact if they would like to get involved,” Ferreira said.

One organization that tabled, Read Fresno, a partnership between Fresno State and Every Neighborhood Partnership, hires Fresno State students through federal work study to support elementary students in academics as Read Fresno mentors. 

The Scholars in Service program, administered by the Richter Center, also had a table to connect with students. The program, which launched in fall 2012, gives student participants the ability to earn a $1,200 grant each semester by completing 90 hours of service per semester with an approved site.

The center regularly provides or sponsors programs like Read Fresno and Scholars in Service, as well as other one-day service events, short-term and long-term service opportunities, service-learning courses, alternative breaks, international service-learning, service-based student leadership and more, according to its website.

Taylan Bennett, special projects coordinator at the Richter Center for over five years, said more than 70 students attended the fair.

“Our student programs have continued throughout the pandemic, they have just taken on various forms: virtual, in-person, etc,” Bennett said. 

Students were able to get freebies from various tables during the event. (Jesús Cano/The Collegian)

While the recruitment fair wasn’t the first in-person event of the semester, it is not expected to be the last.

Later this month, the Richter Center is sponsoring the Fresno State Blood Drive on Tuesday, March 29 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Wednesday, March 30 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., in both the Student Union walkway and North Gym, Room 118.

Students who are interested in assisting with future Richter Center events and becoming more involved on campus can attend informational sessions to become Richter Center student leaders. 

“If students have a passion for serving in their community and are looking for a leadership opportunity, the Richter Center Student Leader program is having an info session next week on Monday, March 28, at noon to 1 p.m., in-person, in USU, 312-314. This program is open to any Fresno State student,” Bennett said.

Other future events and opportunities will be announced on the Richter Center’s social media accounts.