Wyatt Bible
Alcoholic Beverage Control agents posted a notice of suspension sign at University Deli Liquor. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

Liquor store employee arrested for selling alcohol to minor

On Thursday, the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) revoked the liquor license for University Deli Liquor, located in the Bulldog Plaza, after it sold alcohol to a minor who was involved in a deadly DUI crash near Hoover High School on Sept. 19, 2021.

An investigation was opened immediately after the crash, ABC said in a news release on its website.

The investigation led officers to University Deli Liquor, at 1752 E. Barstow Ave across the Bulldog Soccer Stadium, and they arrested employee Hassan Israr Mian, who was accused of selling alcohol to a 16-year-old minor said to have purchased twice from the store the same day of the crash, according to the news release.

The news release said police responded to a single vehicle crash outside of Hoover High School with seven passengers, all under the age of 21. 

The collision killed a 15-year-old passenger and injured two other passengers. The driver, 17, ran from the scene of the crash, but was later “arrested for felony DUI and other charges stemming from the [Fresno Police Department] investigation,” the news release said.

The owner of University Deli Liquor signed an agreement with ABC, accepting the penalty of revocation of the liquor license. The store can not sell alcohol for 180 days to “allow for the transfer of the license to a new owner.” ABC agents posted a notice of suspension at the store.

“Preventing youth access to alcohol and protecting communities from the dangers associated with these violations is a priority,” ABC director Eric Hirata said in the news release. “ABC licensees must remain vigilant and carefully check identifications to prevent minors from gaining access to alcohol at their establishments.”

University Deli Liquor is located at 1752 E. Barstow Ave, at the cross streets of North Cedar Avenue and East Barstow Avenue. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)
The liquor store is prohibited to sell alcohol for 180 days until its liquor license is transferred to a new owner. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)