Fresno African Drumming initiate music and dance circles during its event at the Fresno State Peace Garden. (Jermaine Abraham/The Collegian)

Libota Mbonda promotes ‘healing’ with drum circles at Peace Garden

Students on campus passing through the Fresno State Peace Garden were able to see the Fresno African Drumming group host one of its healing drum circles on March 3 at noon.

The group is an African drum ensemble based in Fresno, that aims to share the history and culture of Western Africa through music. It is also known as Libota Mbonda, which translates to “generation and family of the drum” in a native Congolese dialect. 

With these drum circles, participants are encouraged to join the band in the name of musical expression and self-healing. Whether it is to sit down and play one of the 20 traditional African djembes — drums — available, or to dance in the middle of the circle, the goal of the event is to foster positive energy and celebrate African culture.

“We love doing our drum circles. Give anyone a drum and they are bound to do something with it,” said Donté McDaniel, founder of Fresno African Drumming and a Fresno State alumnus.

McDaniel explained that the group started because he wanted to see more African culture within the Central Valley.

“I grew up in Selma and it felt like I was never exposed to African culture all my life. I can only imagine how many more African Americans are deprived of their ancestral heritage growing up,” McDaniel said. “That is why we started this group, and that is something I will never change — the prominence and influence African culture has in our music.”

McDaniel also noted that these drum circles extend further than just cultural education. He said this form of personal expression is also meant to help with high levels of stress, anxiety, hypervigilance and depression.

“African drumming circles have been a known tool in psychological healing for over 800 years now, so there definitely is validity behind these beliefs,” McDaniel said.

“It is that synchronization of everyone playing together that creates that space for everyone’s well-being to be promoted.”

Travis Cronin, an assistant professor in social work at Fresno State, said he is conducting a research program to study the benefits of African drum circles in collaboration with Fresno African Drumming and Fresno State’s African American Student Social Work Association (AASSWA).

Cronin said he believes that participating in African drumming circles is a wellness experience. People who attend it will have an improved overall mental state after it is carried out.

“There is evidence suggesting certain biological experiences take place when creating music through drums, and I will research the social aspect of this ideology,” Cronin said.

As part of his research, Cronin will be interviewing individuals who took part in Thursday’s drum circle to examine if they experienced an influx of serotonin after the event.

McDaniel noted how important the role of the public is in ensuring the success of African assimilation within Fresno.

“We have recently officially filed as a nonprofit organization,” McDaniel said. This means the group can now receive public donations from people looking to support and sustain African music within the Central Valley.

“Public funding would help us immensely. It would allow us to get our own building, where we can host djembe classes, or even jamming studios. We could buy more equipment and, ultimately, we can pass on this art and knowledge to the next generation,” McDaniel said.

Future events such as the African drum circles will be posted on Fresno State’s African American Social Work Association social media accounts.

For further inquiries about Fresno African Drumming, students can also visit its website. 

Donté McDaniel, founder of Fresno African Drumming and a Fresno State alumni.
teaches some drum beats to the crowd. (Jermaine Abraham/The Collegian)
Students gather around the Fresno State Peace Garden as Fresno African Drumming teaches them about the history of drum circles. (Jermaine Abraham/The Collegian)