The webinar event was held virtually over Zoom. (Screenshot captured by Viviana Hinojos)

‘Don’t Touch My Hair Please’ webinar teaches importance of Black hair

The African American Programs and Services (AAPS) in collaboration with the Cross Cultural and Gender Center (CCGC) hosted the “Don’t Touch My Hair Please” webinar virtually on March 25.

Marisa Williams, the student coordinator at AAPS, said the intention of the webinar was to educate people about Black hair and the importance of it. 

Community members, students and faculty joined to learn about the culture and history of Black hair, while also taking home some hair tips. 

The webinar started with a brief history lesson in protective hairstyles, such as cornrows, which dated back to 3500 BCE. 

One part of the webinar focused on the history of Black hairstyles. (Screenshot captured by Viviana Hinojos)

Williams explained that different hair styles, particularly the different types of protective styles, could tell other people what clan or tribe an individual belonged to, as well as their religion, marital status and age. 

On March 18, the Crown Act was passed in the House of Representatives to prohibit “discrimination based on an individual’s texture or style of hair.” Williams said that the act comes after years of discrimination in the workplace due to decades of natural Black hair being seen as unprofessional.

Bryanna Caesar, student coordinator for gender programs and services, spoke about discrimination still being legal in 42 states, with no laws to protect people for how they choose to wear their hair to represent their culture.

“Even though we are moving so far ahead there is still a lot to be changed, and one of those changes that we need to start with is appropriation,” Caesar said. 

Appropriation is the action of taking something for one’s own use, typically without the owner’s permission, Caesar said. Pictures of Kim Kardashian with cornrows, Adele with Bantu knots and Gigi Hadid with dreads were shared as examples of appropriation.

The webinar acknowledged potential instances of appropriation, such as Kim Kardashian wearing cornrows. (Screenshot captured by Viviana Hinojos)

“It’s really important because for Black people our hair can be considered ghetto or unprofessional, and non-Black people wearing these styles are considered classy, innovative or trendy,” Williams said. 

Although some appropriate these hairstyles for a fashion statement, it can also be very dehumanizing for others, according to Williams and other attendees.

“When people come up and touch my hair, it feels like I’m an animal in a petting zoo,” Caesar said. 

Caesar described these moments as people wanting to be in one’s personal space to look at one’s Black hairstyle, but not caring enough to learn about it.

Different examples of Black hairstyles shown during the webinar. (Screenshot captured by Viviana Hinojos)

Attendees left with a deeper understanding and appreciation for Black hairstyles, Black culture, and the history behind them.

“In the future, we hope to hold many more events that focus on Black hair and mainly the Black community,” Williams said.

Although Williams could not speak on any future events, she recommended people follow the @fresnostatecccgc Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for upcoming events. 

The webinar event covered different types of Black hairstyles, as well as the different types of textures Black hair can have. (Screenshot captured by Viviana Hinojos)