Fresno State estimates $24.7 million in emergency financial assistance for students. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

Fresno State students receive HEERF aid for 2022 Spring Semester

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval announced Fresno State students will receive additional financial assistance for the 2022 spring semester through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF).

On March 11, The American Rescue Plan Act was signed into law by President Joe Biden, allocating $39.5 billion for higher education institutions to provide economic relief for students following the COVID-19 pandemic.

Jiménez-Sandoval revealed that, unlike previous HEERF distributions, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students and international students would be eligible for emergency financial assistance.

“I recognize that this has been a very difficult time for our students, and it is my sincere hope that this additional funding helps to cover unforeseen expenses caused by the continued impacts from the pandemic,” Jiménez-Sandoval said.

Fresno State expects to award $24.7 million in emergency financial assistance for students, which the university intends to distribute as quickly as possible, according to Jiménez-Sandoval.

During the fall 2021 semester, Fresno State received­ $21.7 million for students through HEERF.

HEERF aid distribution is not dependent on Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) status. However, students must be enrolled in a program with financial aid eligibility to qualify such as FAFSA or CADAA.

The Fresno State Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships also provides other programs available to students on its website.

Students are expected to receive an email shortly by the university outlining the timeline for expected funds distribution and award categories. 

Should students have questions regarding HEERF emergency financial assistance they are encouraged to contact the Fresno State Financial Aid website or email the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships directly.