Fresno State students and other exhibitors share their thoughts about the 2022 World Ag Expo returning in-person. (Julia Espinoza/The Collegian)

Fresno State shows ‘passion for agriculture’ in 2022 World Ag Expo

Video by Julia Espinoza/The Collegian

Fresno State had its own booth at the World Ag Expo, held in the International Agri-Center in Tulare, to represent its reputation with agriculture education at one of the largest agricultural expositions in the world. 

After last year’s event was held virtually, exhibitors and attendees were glad to be back in-person in 2022.

On Feb. 8-10 cars flooded Highway 99 as the agricultural community rushed to see prominent agriculture companies and organizations’ exhibitions, showcasing a variety of products from giant vehicles and machinery to the newest technologies in the field of agriculture.

Walking into the 2.6 million feet of exhibit space the event had to offer, the smell of barbecue filled the air with people enjoying their beer and kids climbing up 20-foot tractors. The event wasn’t just a place to network, but for many to come and have fun with their families.

“We went from hard times to being able to come together and basically share what we have love and passion for, which is to exhibit agriculture, education and literacy,” Ivan Trujillo, a Fresno State sophomore, said.

Majoring in agriculture education, with a focus on teacher preparation, Trujillo volunteered at this year’s Fresno State booth at the expo. Many booths, like the university’s, showed various career paths young people can take in the agricultural field.

Also volunteering with Trujillo was Fresno State junior and agriculture education major Amy Suarez. Both of them are agriculture ambassadors for the Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology (JCAST). They said they volunteered because they have “a passion for agriculture,” so the World Ag Expo was a great opportunity.

Suarez said the Fresno State booth was there to promote the school’s agriculture education program and let “the World Ag Expo know what Fresno State is all about.”

“I’m super excited to be here. Not only am I here to be able to represent Fresno State… but I’m making so many connections with people in the industry,” Suarez said.

“I think it’s a really awesome opportunity to have us here and to be able to have those in-person connections that, when we were in [the pandemic], we weren’t able to have.”

Trujillo noted how “saddening” it was to not have the expo last year in-person. He reflected on his first experience with the expo while he was in high school, and how he enjoyed the environment.

The exposition had multiple tents that held 30-100 booths inside, lined up next to each other. Fresno State’s booth was next to other university displays and across from a beer-and-grill area for adults to enjoy.

Local high schools and elementary schools sponsored the event as well and had food stands, selling things like smoked ribs and ice cream. Certain booths had games people could play like operating an excavator to make a volleyball into a bucket.

Trujillo’s first year at Fresno State was completely online, so being able to represent his university in Tulare was exciting, he said.

Both students said they felt comfortable and safe at this year’s event, which encouraged masks indoors and for attendees to remain home if feeling sick. The university booth was located outdoors with Bulldog merchandise for those interested in Fresno State.

Suarez said it was exciting to see previous alumni go up to the booth and share how they are using their Fresno State education in their careers. She said it was nice to see the Bulldog support, ranging from students stopping by to a visit from Victor E. III.

Suarez shared her first memories of the expo during her time at Dos Palos High School as a Future Farmers of America (FFA) member. It was the start of her love for agriculture and why she decided to become a Bulldog, she said.

“All the facilities that Fresno State offers and the hands-on experience within [JCAST] is definitely why I started coming to the World Ag Expo and that’s why I’m here today as a Fresno State student,” Suarez said.