Andy Warhol, Vesuvius, 1985, Screenprint on Arches 88, TP 1/57, Bank of America Collection | © 2022 The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc. / Licensed by Artist Rights Society (ARS), New York

Fresno Art Museum reopens; exhibits featuring art from Andy Warhol

Andy Warhol, widely considered one of the central figures of the Pop Art movement and one of the most recognizable artists in recent times, now has 94 works of art on display at the Fresno Art Museum (FAM).

Having been closed since Jan. 9 to set up their next exhibitions, the FAM reopened Feb. 5, featuring three new exhibitions. The exhibitions, featuring art fromWarhol, Ansel Adams and Chester Arnold, will remain open through June 26.

Warhol (1928-1987) was known as a filmmaker, photographer, painter, commercial illustrator, music producer, writer and even fashion model during his illustrious career. His unique focus on color is featured in his collections “Ten Portraits of Jews of the Twentieth Century,” “Myths” and “Endangered Species,” on display now.

Andy Warhol, Campbell’s Soup II (New England Clam Chowder), 1969, From a portfolio of ten screenprints on paper 47/200, Bank of America Collection | © 2022 The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc. / Licensed by Artist Rights Society (ARS), New York | Campbell’s Soup © 2022 Campbell’s Soup Company
Andy­Warhol,­Sunset,­1972, from portfolio of four screenprints on paper, 31/40, Bank of America Collection | © 2022 The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc. / Licensed by Artist Rights Society (ARS), New York
Andy­Warhol, Flowers­(5 of 10 in suite from­Flowers­portfolio), 1970, Screenprint on paper, 28/250, Bank of America Collection | © 2022 The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc. / Licensed by Artist Rights Society (ARS), New York

The exhibit also features covers and excerpts from “Interview Magazine,” which Warhol founded in 1969. The magazine was well-known for its intimate Q&As with celebrities and remained in publication until May 2018.

The exhibit attracted an unprecedented number of guests on its opening day, according to two different employees. Multiple security guards patrolled the museum to guard the art. 

“I had to come when I heard he was going to be here. This is a big deal for Fresno,” said attendee Rebecca Hayward, who was particularly grateful for the local accessibility to the iconic pieces.

The exhibition is made possible through The Bank of America Art in our Communities Program, which was established in 2009 to “share the company’s art collection with the widest possible audience.”

“The arts matter, and Bank of America recognizes the value that museums and exhibits bring to the local economy and to creating cultural connections in the community. So, we’re very excited to be able to lend our Andy Warhol collection to the Fresno Art Museum, a longtime partner of ours who can soon display these iconic works to the public,” said Mark Riley, President of Bank of America Fresno/Visalia.

Other sponsors for the Warhol exhibit include Cindy Wathen-Kennedy and Fresno State’s own Bulldog Pride Fund, an organization established in 2005 with two $50 donations that claims “one simple mission: To provide an annuity that supports students attending Fresno State,” according to their website.

“[Bulldog Pride Fund’s sponsorship] is primarily a way to support the FAM, but a secondary way to also publicize the BPF. It’s a new public relations and marketing avenue for BPF,” said Peter Robertson, director of alumni communications.

Other exhibits from Ansel Adams (1902-1984) and Chester Arnold (b. 1952), as well as FAM’s permanent collection, are available for visitors at this time. Adams was best known for his black-and-white landscape photographs, with Yosemite featured significantly in them.

FAM executive director and chief curator Michele Ellis Pracy worked closely with Arnold to select 20 large pieces and over 18 small paintings of his to place on display. 

“Through the exhibit paintings and his texts, we travel with Arnold on his exceptional, committed journey from youth to mid-career to currently seasoned artist,” Pracy’s statement explains on a display upon entry to the museum.

As with the other exhibits, Arnold’s featured various informational plaques along with the paintings. However, Arnold’s featured his own commentary on his paintings and their influences throughout the decades.

The FAM will be open on Thursdays and Fridays from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

Adults ages 18 and up will be charged $10 for entry, youth ages 5-17 will be charged $7 and children ages 4 and under can enter for free. U.S. military veterans and active duty military are admitted for free with ID. 

Masks are required at all times regardless of vaccination status, and are provided on-site if needed. No reservation is needed for entrance at this time. 

Parking is available for free in an adjacent lot.