Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian
Fresno State celebrates Women’s History Month with various in-person and online events throughout March.

COSS hosts virtual town hall discussing COVID-19 concerns

The Fresno State College of Social Science (COSS) and COSS senator Allison Gallardo hosted a virtual town hall regarding university updates on Feb. 2.

One of the major concerns for students present at the town hall was whether there would be any potential COVID-19 regulation changes during the transition back to in-person learning on Feb. 7.

Immunocompromised Accommodations

President of the COSS Leadership Council, Alex Walker, raised concerns about if the university planned to continue to offer accommodations for immunocompromised students who were unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

Representative of Political Science, David Klein, acknowledged that the recent announcement by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) regarding immunocompromised individuals may complicate the matter.

On Jan. 7, the CDC recommended that everyone, including immunocompromised individuals, to receive their primary series of vaccinations as soon as possible if they are 5 years or older. Individuals 12 and older are recommended to receive a booster shot following their primary shot.

Gallardo confirmed that the university is requiring students to wear either KN95 masks or surgical grade masks, which took into effect on Jan. 18. 

Students can receive free surgical masks at the University Student Union, Student Recreation Center, University Warehouse, Atrium and the Student Health and Counseling Center.

Student Recreational Facilities

A question was submitted to the panelist regarding the potential opening of facilities such as the bowling alley on campus as Fresno State transitions to in-person learning on Feb. 7.

Gallardo acknowledged that the Associated Students Incorporated (ASI) had yet to receive updates regarding certain recreational student facilities. However, she noted the university remained committed to returning to campus on Feb. 7 as planned.

“President Sandoval and, like, the Committee on COVID-19 and reopening and everything has a very hard stance on keeping campus open on February 7, and not delaying it more due to the omicron variant,” Gallardo said.

ASI Update

Gallardo also informed attendees that Jose L. Medina III will no longer serve as the ASI Executive Vice President. Senator for the College of Health and Human Services, Alison Garibay, was elected to temporarily assume Medina’s former position as Interim Executive Vice President.

ASI is slated to vote on the next executive vice president during the Wednesday, Feb. 9 academic senate meeting.

Gallardo announced that, in collaboration with the COSS liaison Sheila Gallagher-Price, they would be hosting a career readiness event in anticipation of the career fair taking place in the Save Mart Center on Mar. 9.

“[Gallagher-Price] knows over the years that a lot of students struggle with how to pitch themselves to deploy employers at these career fairs. So me and her are [discussing] how we can sort of fill that gap,” Gallardo said.

Although the town hall was hosted by the COSS, the panelist encouraged students from all parts of the university to attend the virtual town halls taking place on Zoom on the first Wednesday of every month.

The town hall featured representatives from various departments from the COSS, all of whom provided updates regarding each of the individual departments as well as updates regarding business with the university.