Wyatt Bible
The Contemporary Dance Ensemble performed their concert “Not What It Seems” at John Wright Theatre. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

Contemporary Dance Ensemble premieres in-person show

Fresno State’s Contemporary Dance Ensemble premiered “Not What It Seems,” its first in-person performance in two years, on Feb. 18.

Due to COVID-19, the Contemporary Dance Ensemble had to perform its 10-year anniversary production in 2021 virtually. Now that live audiences are able to attend this spring, attitudes within the dancers have risen, according to artistic director Kenneth Balint. 

“Not What It Seems” consists of 12 dancers performing six dance works choreographed by guest choreographer Anandha Ray, student dancer Siena Simas faculty choreographers Koryn Wicks and Balint.­

The “Not What It Seems” dance concert was the Contemporary Dance Ensemble’s first performance with a live audience since 2020. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

“I know when they get on stage… there’s an awareness. It ups the ante a little bit. And it was something that I think was sorely missed last year,” Balint said.

The first dance work, “The Layover,” choreographed by Wicks, began with the accompaniment of music by The Flatlanders. The dancers’ vibrant energy and joyous music were a gesture of a warm welcome to both the audience watching and the performers themselves on the stage. 

The next dance work called “Body of Pain,” choreographed by Ray, was a deeply emotional and philosophical journey paired with music by several artists such as Zack Hemsey, The Haxan Cloak and Frank Watlington. The performance featured warm colors that poured into the intensity of the dancers’ movements.­

The Contemporary Dance Ensemble is composed of 12 student members who all performed at the “Not What It Seems” dance concert. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

The show concluded with “Crinkled, Dirty Slightly Broken Red Plastic Cup List,” choreographed by Balint. This conclusion was a bittersweet ending that emulated unity and a bit of humor that was represented through the dancers. Music by artists Dorsey Burnette, David Lang, Bo Burnham and others contributed to the fun of it all. 

The dance work, “Tetris Effect,” was performed fourth in the Contemporary Dance Ensemble’s concert. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

Performances of “Not What It Seems” will be held in Fresno State’s John Wright Theater starting Feb. 18 to 19 at 7:30 p.m. Showtimes continue Feb. 20 at 2 p.m. and Feb. 22 to 26 at 7:30 p.m. 

Tickets are $17 for adults, $15 for Fresno State faculty, staff, alumni and military, and $10 for students. Children under 5 are not permitted. Doors open 30 minutes before curtain. Latecomers will not be allowed entrance.

Until further notice, admittance requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative result from a COVID-19 rest performed within 72 hours of the performance day attended. Audiences must be fully masked inside the theater.