The Save Mart Center is home to various major events throughout the year. (Vendila Yang/The Collegian)

Commencement ceremonies planned to return May 2022

In-person commencement ceremonies will return to the Save Mart Center this May, President Saul Jiménez-Sandoval said in an email sent to students Tuesday.

“I am eagerly anticipating the opportunity to join our graduates on these momentous days, as we celebrate their hard work and perseverance as they continue to pursue their goals and dreams,” Jiménez-Sandoval said.

In-person commencement ceremonies were canceled in March 2020 during the onset of COVID-19. 

Fully virtual commencement ceremonies were initially planned in May 2021, but improving COVID-19 numbers in Fresno County at the time lent itself to smaller-scale, in-person ceremonies, Jiménez-Sandoval said in an email sent to students on March 24, 2021.

Commencement weekend is currently scheduled for May 20 to 22.

All guests attending Commencement ceremonies will be required to show proof of vaccination, or a negative COVID-19 test within 48 hours to attend.

Further details regarding dates and times for specific ceremonies will be provided later in the semester on Fresno State’s Commencement website.