Students bowl during one of the elective bowling courses. (Jesús Cano/The Collegian)

Bulldog Bowl planning to reopen for public use ‘very soon’

Fresno State’s bowling alley plans to open in the next few weeks.

Bulldog Bowl, which is located in the lower level of the University Student Union, has 12 lanes, billiards tables and an arcade room. Initially, the bowling alley closed in March 2020, but reopened to bowling classes at the start of the spring 2022 semester.

The only reason it hasn’t opened to the rest of the public yet is due to a staff shortage, according to associate dean of student involvement Colin Stewart.

“So once we got approval [to reopen], we immediately posted the job description and then [started] interviews, and we’re very close to finalizing that process. And the second that we get that person hired, we’re going to aim to reopen the bowling alley as quickly as possible,” Stewart said.

Stewart acknowledged that the administration planned to open the bowling alley “much earlier,” but nationwide staff shortages have prevented that. Despite the setback, student involvement has continued the search.

“This has been one of our top priorities: to get this position hired so that we can open the bowling alley as quickly as possible. But we’re very excited and optimistic that we’re going to be able to open very, very soon within the next few weeks,” Stewart said.

To keep the bowling alley safe for public use, several rules will be instituted in the bowling alley and billiards area. Individuals will need to wear masks at all times while indoors, and no food or drinks are allowed. 

Every night, Stewart said staff will conclude with a “deep clean” to sanitize the facility, shoes and bowling balls.

Gus Anderson, a recent Fresno State graduate, said he feels “completely comfortable” bowling in consideration of COVID-19 concerns. 

“I think the bowling alley is a fun place for students to blow off some steam while going to school. Students need to be able to socialize in a fun, light-hearted manner, and with everything being online, it’s difficult to find places to meet up and study as well as have some fun,” Anderson said.

“We know that this is such a critical part of the [University Student Union], and we know that students have been excited about it. So we’re equally excited and anxious to reopen the bowling alley for everyone so that everyone can enjoy it and have a good time,” Stewart said.

Fresno State students and faculty members will still be able to receive discounted rates for bowling and billiards. 

While the general requirement to use the bowling alley is possession of a Fresno State ID card, Stewart acknowledged that some students have experienced delays in receiving their cards. For those students, equivalent proof of Fresno State attendance, such as Fresno State email accounts, will be accepted.