The Fresno State sign located across the Thomas Administration Building. (Vendila Yang/The Collegian)

University announces mask policy, and booster vaccination deadline

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval updated students about on-campus COVID-19 requirements for the Spring 2022 semester in an email on Jan. 19. 

The email detailed an updated mask requirement for all students, faculty and staff, specifying that surgical grade or KN95 masks are required, regardless of vaccination status. 

Jiménez-Sandoval said they made the decision “based on updated guidance from public health experts about the high transmissibility of the Omicron variant.” 

The university will offer masks at the Student Health and Counseling Center, Atrium, University Warehouse, Student Recreation Center, Library and University Student Union.

The email also reminded students of the CSU requirement announced in December 2021 that mandated all faculty, staff and students who are accessing university facilities or programs to receive a vaccine booster.

Jiménez-Sandoval said all students and non-represented employees wanting to be on-campus must receive the booster vaccine by Feb. 28. Those who do not provide proof of vaccination or received an exemption are still required to comply with the mandatory weekly testing.

Fresno State still offers free PCR testing at its COVID-19 Testing Center in the Student Recreation Center.

The university will also continue to offer vaccine and booster clinics to students, faculty and staff in the North Gym building in room 118. The clinics will offer the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccination shots and will be open on the following dates:

• Tuesday, Jan. 25 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Thursday, Jan. 27 from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
  • Friday, Feb. 11 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • Thursday, Feb. 17 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Tuesday, Feb. 22 from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Jiménez-Sandoval also added that students who fail to comply with the vaccination policy can result in “disciplinary actions ”‹”‹for those who have not attested to a medical or religious exemption.”

Students must update vaccination documentation with booster information on the “Self-Certification form” in the My Fresno State student portal.