Larry Valenzuela
Christmas Tree Lane features a 2-mile display of festive lights. (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

Upcoming holiday events in December in the Central Valley

The year may be coming to a close, but the holiday festivities are just beginning.

“This is my favorite time of year,” Fresno State student Mandy Vega said. “Everywhere I go, it either smells like cinnamon or there’s a beautiful display of holiday lights.”

Christmas Tree Lane is perhaps the most popular light display in Fresno. This year the 99-year-old tradition features 140 homes and 2.5 million lights.

The two-mile display runs along N Van Ness boulevard from Shields to Shaw avenues. Although the event is drive-thru style, visitors are welcome to walk or ride their bikes.

“Walking down Christmas Tree Lane has been a tradition in my family since I was a kid,” Fresno State student Jesus Camera said. “A few years ago, I found out about Candy Cane Lane, and it’s definitely worth checking out, too.”

Clovis’ Candy Cane Lane is located around Cindy Avenue and will be open until Christmas.

The Fresno Chaffee Zoo is also celebrating the holidays with ZooLights, a festive light display throughout the zoo. 

In addition to miles of themed decor, this annual event also features live entertainment and Santa’s Spirits alcohol stations for guests 21 and older.

The third Friday of December is national ugly sweater day. Wear your ugliest sweater to the zoo on Dec. 17 to receive discounts on food and drinks. 

ZooLights will be held Dec. 3-5, 10-12, 17-23 and 26-30 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets are $16 for adult non-members.

“I know everyone gets excited by the lights,” Fresno State student Jhoselin Moore said. “But I’m more looking forward to watching holiday movies and drinking my hot cocoa.”

Enjoy the season with a drink and a show at Roger Rocka’s Dinner Theatre. “Elf the Musical” is playing until Jan 9. 

The comedy is based on the 2003 holiday film that follows Buddy the elf in search of his true identity. Student tickets start at $19. 

The Central California Ballet will be performing the Nutcracker at the William Saroyan Theater on Dec. 11 and Sunday, Dec. 12 at 2 p.m. Tickets are available for sale now.

A Magical Cirque Christmas will be on stage at the same location on Dec. 29. 

The evening performance will feature a variety of entertainment including acrobatics and mystifying tricks that have been praised by Copperfield himself.

The Fresno Philharmonic will also be performing at the William Saroyan Theatre this holiday season. Listen to its enchanting scores this Saturday, Dec. 4 at 7:30 p.m. 

Visit the Fresno State Concert Hall the next day to listen to fellow Bulldog talent. 

The Fresno State choir will be performing a holiday choral concert this Sunday, Dec. 5 at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $6 for students and university employees.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is also bringing holiday music to the Valley. 

Catch its rock remixes of popular Christmas songs at the Save Mart Center on Thursday, Dec. 2.

“I love, love, love Christmas music,” Fresno State student Cecily Romero said. “But my favorite part about Christmas is celebrating with family and giving back to people who may not have the means to celebrate the season.”

Visit River Park this weekend for the Toys for Tots Marathon to donate a new unwrapped toy to a child in need, or join the Hells Angels on Thursday, Dec. 4 for their 23rd annual toy run at the Intimo Cocktail Lounge. 

Participants with motorcycles can ride with the Angels after donating to deliver toys across the city.