Fresno+State+estimates+%2424.7+million+in+emergency+financial+assistance+for+students.+%28+
Fresno State estimates $24.7 million in emergency financial assistance for students. (

Transgender Remembrance Day honors losses, shares resources

Drew Harbaugh, president of the Fresno Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) chapter, spoke about the struggles of living a genuine life as a transgender man in society.

“Too often, we trans folks are seen not for the complex human beings that we are but were reduced down to just our transness into the struggles we endured as we strive to live authentic lives,” Harbaugh said.

The Transgender Day of Remembrance was hosted as a virtual vigil by the Fresno State Cross-Cultural and Gender Center (CCGC) on Nov. 19 to honor the transgender lives lost to violence.

The day of remembrance initially began as a vigil held to honor the loss of Rita Hester in 1999, who was murdered due to her transgender identity. 

For Harbaugh, being transgender is only one part of his rich and complex identity. He is an avid reader of books, a critical care nurse, woodworker, photographer and a father.

In sharing his story, Harbaugh said he hoped that the audience remembered the loss of lives of transgender individuals, not simply because they are transgender but rather for being human and taken from this planet.

“We don’t want our trans siblings whom we have lost this year and whom we’re here to honor today, to be remembered only for being trans and only for the worst day of their lives,” Harbaugh said. “We’re here to acknowledge that these were vibrant, beautiful, complex people who live lives full of both joys and struggles.”

The CCGC and Trans-E-Motion, a non profit organization offering support and advocacy for the transgender community and allies, have hosted the Transgender Day of Remembrance at Fresno State since 2014. Due to the nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, the memorial was held virtually over Zoom this year.

Guest speakers ranging from transgender singers, local advocates and transgender individuals shared their stories at the vigil. 

Two music video performances were shown in the vigil, both of which were produced by individuals affiliated with the Fresno Madera Imperial Dove Court.

Kye-Lah Deleon and Vanity O’Hara Moore provided a music video for the program. Much like Harbaugh, Deleon and Moore sang about the difficulties of being a member of the LGBTQ+ community and how it is difficult to be genuine not only to themselves but to others.

The vigil served as a platform for viewers to find out about the LGBTQ+ resources available at Fresno State and across the Central Valley.

Fresno State graduate student and secretary of Trans-E-Motion Ben Nehring began the virtual vigil by sharing information regarding LGBTQ+ resources people can find in the Valley.

Brenda Villalobos represented the CCGC and presented the available resources for LGBTQ+ individuals at Fresno State.

“Our LGBTQ+ programs and services provides an open and safe and inclusive space for our campus to promote education, self-exploration of identities and intersectional and intentional events and services,” Villalobos said.

Christine Muro of the Fresno Housing Authority provided resources people could reach out to in order to receive help with housing issues and homelessness. Rebecca Rodriguez, case manager of the Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission (EOC), also discussed the multitude of economic resources available such as the “Q Closet,” which provides masculine and feminine clothing, hygiene products and peer support groups for free.

Spencer Salazar, the trans program coordinator for The Source, an LGBTQ+ resource center, emphasized the importance of helping guide individuals through their transition using these resources available to the community to help ease the process.

The final portion of the program was dedicated to the individuals who died this year for identifying as transgender persons. 

The program also took time to remember local LGBTQ+ advocate and Fresno State alum  Zoyer Zyndel who died last year on Dec. 26. Zyndel worked with the Fresno Rainbow Pride committee, served with the Fresno Madera Imperial Court of Doves and was the former president of PFLAG.

Estevan Parra Guerrero, program coordinator for the CCGC, narrated the video that accompanied the names of those who lost their lives. Parra Guerrero emphasized that there were many more lives unaccounted for and that they are deserving of remembrance as well.

“We recognize all the lives lost. We honor and remember every life is precious. Rest in power,” Parra Guerrero said.

The vigil concluded with a moment of silence followed by a support group session for individuals seeking assistance.