Fresno State guard Jordan Campbell dunks the ball in the second half against Fresno Pacific on Tuesday, Nov. 9, at Save Mart Center. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

Bulldog men’s basketball wins first game of the season

In the season opener for Fresno State men’s basketball against Fresno Pacific, both teams struggled offensively. The first three minutes of the game remained scoreless. 

The ‘Dogs were still missing players like Junior Ballard, Deon Stroud and Braxton Meah, and key scorers Isaiah Hill and Orlando Robinson were missing their shots. But the person who put the first points on the board was sophomore guard Leo Colimerio.

Colimerio was an offensive leader for his team in the first half and the boost the ‘Dogs needed in their 74-54 victory on Tuesday at the Save Mart Center. 

After the three-minute scoring drought, Bulldog forward Jordan Campbell rebounded the ball and passed to Colimerio on the fast break. Colimerio finished on transition with a layup. 

Colimerio finished the first half tied as the top scorer with 10 points, five rebounds and a steal, making 4-for-5 shots from the field. 

[Colimerio’s] getting better. You know, he brings a lot of energy, runs the floor, rebounds the ball, you know is always in the right spots, or at least sometimes he’s in the right spot,” head coach Justin Hutson said, joking around with Colimerio next to him. 

The guard from Sao Paulo, Brazil, also finished the game with nine rebounds. Colimerio said it felt good finding a rhythm, especially with rebounding.

“Two people will go out, so I just felt the necessity to crash every time and luckily, I got most of the boards,” Colimerio said.

Fresno State found its rhythm after Colimerio’s first points. Fresno Pacific responded with a hook jumpshot, but it was out of their hands once the ‘Dogs went on a 17-0 run, leading 19-2 with 11:35 left in the half.

It started with guard Anthony Holland, making a second-chance layup off an offensive rebound. Holland also had a strong first half with 10 points and two 3-pointers, making all four of his first shots. 

“[Holland] always wants to do the right thing. He wants to play to win,” Hutson said.

Fresno State increased its lead into halftime, leading 42-20.

Into the second half, the ‘Dogs began putting on a show on all ends of the floor in a 10-2 run. Robinson caught fire with back-to-back alley-oop dunks. The crowd went electric as the next play Campbell had a dunk of his own.

Campbell would also have the highlight play of the game. Driving from the wing, he elevated over two Sunbirds and threw down a tomahawk, left-handed dunk.

From there, the ‘Dogs rode the energy of the Red Wave and secured the win in their first game of the centennial season. The top scorers of the game were Robinson with 16, Campbell with 14 and Holland with 12

Fresno State hosts its next game against the LIU Sharks on Friday at the Save Mart Center.