One of the colorful ofrendas celebrates the late folklorico dancer Hector Rangel. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

Arte Américas celebrates ”‹”‹Día de Los Muertos with annual Cala Gala

In honor of Día de Los Muertos, the Day of the Dead, Arte Américas in downtown Fresno held its annual Cala Gala Saturday, marking its successful return after a COVID-19 closure.

The event began at 11 a.m. and ended at 6 p.m. after hours of live performances, food trucks, vendors and art. 

“I’ve missed this place,” said Fresno State alum and longtime community member Edward Rodriguez. “This is my culture, you know? This event means a lot to me.”

Beginning on Oct 7, Arte Américas opened its Community Altars and Textiles by Lety la Catrina exhibition. 

The exhibit included unique altars created by community organizations and members in honor of those who have passed, as well as the vibrant dresses created by Lety la Catrina de Visalia and her husband during recent Día de Los Muertos seasons.

The exhibition honored local individuals who had passed as well as groups of individuals lost to violence over the years. 

Día de los Muertos, a holiday observed on Nov. 1 and 2, provides individuals the chance to remember beloved family members and friends who have passed by decorating altars with favorite items of the deceased. For many who celebrate the holiday, it is believed that it allows those who have passed to visit those still living.

One particular “ofrenda” or altar in the exhibition celebrated classic ballet, and Mexican folkloric dancer Hector Rangel, who passed away due to COVID-19 in 2020. In honor of Rangel’s nearly half a century teaching folk dance in the Central Valley, his love of dance and teaching was reflected in his individualistic ofrenda. 

The late Fresno Latino Rotary president and active community member David C. Leon was similarly honored with an ofrenda that memorialized his unique interests, such as tailored suits, crystal balls and cologne. 

One altar that celebrated street vendors among others constructed by Chalome, Maia and David Gonzalez and Jose Rivera, featured an ice chest, a bike rack, street vendor horns and syrup bottles. The ofrenda honored Rivera’s father, who was lost in an act of violence in November 2020. To reflect his kind personality and his love of parties, bright colors were utilized in the design of the elaborate altar. 

One art installation by Raphael X. Reichert, constructed of surgical face masks, was in memory of health care workers who lost their battle with COVID-19. Another honored the victims of the 2016 Pulse nightclub mass shooting in Orlando, Florida. That altar was created by the Dolores Huerta Foundation in honor of the BIPOC queer community and its culture.

The exhibition culminated with La Catrina de Visalia, constructed by Leticia Valencia and Claudio, Leonardo, Saul and Brandon Martinez. This collection of intricate costumes reflected the different outfits the “Visalia Catrina” and her team have worn for the last 11 years in pursuit of “captivating hearts through an ancient tradition.” 

The purpose of La Catrina, the exhibit explains, is to “honor and protect those who have passed and to symbolize the relationship Mexicans and various Latinos have with death.”

Outside the exhibition, food trucks and vendors packed the gazebo. Food trucks offered 

traditional foods as well as festival favorites, and vendors offered primarily traditional clothing, gifts or novelty items. 

Performers such as Vía Cero, Lety La Catrina de Visalia and Grupo Desvelado took the stage regularly to entertain attendees.

Andres Rojo, a third-year history student at Fresno State, maintained one information booth on behalf of the Nu Alpha Kappa fraternity. Nu Alpha Kappa has been volunteering at Cala Gala for several years. 

“We’re a multicultural fraternity, so this is a really good opportunity for us,” Rojo said. “We’re always looking for a way to promote culture, and this is one way to do it.”

Eight people from the fraternity assisted with the event, having connected through the networking of past brothers when Arte Américas was searching for a Fresno State group to be involved in the event.

“It’s always a good time,” Rojo said. “We look forward to it every year.”

Arte Américas is one of the largest non-profit Latinx cultural centers in California, having celebrated Latinx culture and art in downtown Fresno since 1987. It is also known for its involvement in local murals, such as the CMAC mural “Murmuration” that is dedicated to Valley writers.

The Día de Los Muertos exhibit runs until Nov. 7. Admission to exhibitions is free, and free parking is available on site. Information plaques are available throughout the exhibit to enable self-guided tours.

Masks are required for entrance and proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result within the last three days is requested at the door.