Angela Chaidez Vincent reads some of her writing at Hi-Top Coffee during LitHop. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

Literary festival ‘LitHop’ celebrates Fresno State student and staff writing

LitHop, an initiative of the Fresno Arts Council founded by former City of Fresno poet laureate Lee Herrick and his wife, Lisa, in 2016, celebrated local literary talent again Oct. 16 in the Tower District. 

“[LitHop] was an incredibly ambitious initiative by Fresno’s inaugural poet laureate Lee Herrick to create a vibrant celebration of writing in the valley,” said Angela Chaidez Vincent, a poet who has participated in LitHop every year since its creation.

Vincent was one of over 100 writers who participated in the event from noon to 5 p.m. across seven venues. The writers ranged from beginners to long-time professionals. Many were Fresno State students and staff. 

Four readers were each given 10-minute slots for a 45-minute reading event every hour at each venue, with readers changing every hour. Venues included Fresbrew, Hart’s Haven Used Bookstore, The Revue Coffee Shop, Hi-Top Coffee, Splash, Teazer’s and Fresno Music Academy & Arts. 

Each venue was within walking distance of the other, making it easy for attendees to travel between events. Visitors were invited to support the businesses being used as venues while attending and to travel between venues during breaks.

Each reading event was given a special theme, such as “Here and Queer,” “Unconventional Families” or “People of the Global Majority Speaking” for writers to compile their readings around.

One hourly event at Hi-Top Coffee showcased pieces around the theme “Ode to Those We’ve Missed.” Here Vincent shared several pieces, including the poem “Ode to iHop,” in honor of the experiences missed during the pandemic.

Vincent, who completed her MFA in poetry at Fresno State in 2006, said she cherishes the opportunity to share with the writing community in Fresno. 

“Following the artistic trajectories of friends over many years and finding new writers to admire: both are delights,” said Vincent.

Kirk Stone, assistant director of Fresno State’s Writing Center, also took his opportunity to share at Hi-Top Coffee.

Stone was invited to participate in LitHop in 2016 by Megan Anderson Bohigian, Fresno’s fifth and current poet laureate. Stone has since participated three different times. 

“When you’re a student, there’s a lot of chances to share your work… Once you’ve graduated, it’s hard to get an audience…But I’m more, like, writing to be heard. And so I want an audience that I can read it to,” Stone said.

Stone’s reading, “I Kept Failing at Everything and Still You Welcomed Me Back,” took the theme of loss in a poignant direction, lamenting the loss of friendships over the years and celebrating those who remained.

“This is kind of a song praising my friends, but also mentioning some very good friends that I – that didn’t want to be my friends anymore,” said Stone.

Other reading events offered opportunities to reflect on cultural and societal experiences, such as Fresbrew’s “Writing the Domestic,” an event showcasing four women’s work about what it means to be an “unapologetically bad daughter.”

During this event, Cristina Sandoval, an MFA student who began her studies at Fresno State during the pandemic, shared pieces about the pressures of being a good daughter in a traditional Hispanic household.

Sandoval, who heard about LitHop through both Fresno State contacts and through an invitation from former Modesto poet laureate and fellow reader Stella Beratlis, wrote three of her four pieces specifically for the reading event. 

“I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember… I eventually took my first poetry class to fill a requirement, and I instantly fell in love with the form. That was around 2012. I have not stopped since,” she said.

Sandoval currently has two self-published poetry collections available for sale on Amazon: “We Need Bad Bitches” and “Moon Ride.” 

LitHop is an annual event and will likely return next year to the Tower District. Further details of the event will be shared at LitHopFresno.org.

Any who wish to read their writing at LitHop are able to submit reading proposals ahead of time. Writers who wish to share their work with an audience can submit reading proposals when the open call begins next year.

“I would say to those considering being part of next year’s event, go for it. Get together with some friends who write, have fun and explore the possibilities of what you can write…It’s a wonderful opportunity to build community, bask in the glow of language, and really, just have a good time,” Sandoval said.