Fresno State students Adeline Garcia (left) and Marina Ortega (right) display their art at the first ArtHop of the fall season. (Miranda Adams/The Collegian)

First ArtHop of fall showcase Fresno State student and staff art

Local artists, live entertainment and valley residents took over downtown Fresno last Thursday, Oct. 7, to celebrate self-expression during Tower District’s first ArtHop of the 2021 fall season.

“When ArtHop started it was very much focused on visual art galleries,” said Lilia Gonzáles-Chávez, executive director of the Arts Council. “We still promote that activity, but it has since evolved into a street fair. The atmosphere is very eclectic, and you just never know what you’re going to find.”

Although ArtHop does not have a set theme, many local artists drew inspiration from the month of October. 

Some dressed up early for Halloween, while others gave a nod to the season through their artwork.

October is also LGBTQ+ History Month. The Economic Opportunities Commission’s LGBTQ+ Resource Center reflected on both of these October motifs in their exhibit, “The Costumes we Wear.”

“In the queer community we can’t always be who we want to be even in family and school settings,” said Jennifer Cruz, the LGBTQ+ Resource Center manager. “A lot of what I hear described from the youth is not being able to be fully themselves. [This contest asks them to] express that through their paintings.”

Outside the EOC, Alyssa Jeselle, an art major at Fresno State, had a booth set up with her artwork.

“I’m a very big believer in putting art back into the community,” she said. “I saw that we don’t really have merch for the Central Valley. I have LA shirts, I have Bay Area shirts, but I’ve never seen anything for Fresno. So I decided to start making some of my own.”

Jeselle began screen printing during the onset of the pandemic and uses the sales revenue to pay for her tuition. Her work can be found at the Forestiere Underground Gardens or on Etsy @alyssajeselle. 

Marina Ortega, who is pursuing her liberal studies degree at Fresno State, also began to focus on her art during the pandemic. This was her first show.

“I’m a big fan of pop-art and surrealism and their alternate realities,” Ortega said. “During the pandemic I started painting and I really tried to bring that to my work. It was a really great outlet and helped me to escape everything that was going on.”

Ortega’s colorful Dali inspired pieces will be available at the next ArtHop and can currently be seen on Instagram @autumnsolartistry. 

Sarah Pech, library service specialist at Fresno State and creative contributor to Claybon jewelry, also takes solace in painting. 

Pech finds inspiration in emotion, and said much of that emotion is drawn from engaging with people and the surrounding environment.

“In Europe, during breakfast, it’s common to face your tables out to the street and just watch the people walk by. This is so interesting to me because I love seeing how other people interact, and I love learning about how people express themselves,” Pech said.

“Social media is a platform where you can have your stuff shared globally, but there’s something special about connecting with people locally, and that’s what I really appreciate about ArtHop.”

The pandemic prevented this fraternization for over a year, but when ArtHop reopened last July, Fresno State student Adeline Garcia jumped at the opportunity to become involved. 

“Selling in person I get to meet everyone that buys from me. Getting to see them again at the next ArtHop wearing the pieces that they bought is such a good feeling,” Garcia said. “It really encourages me to keep growing and to come up with new ideas.”

Garcia is pursuing her arts degree and specializes in making wire-wrapped jewelry. Follow her on Instagram @fairyquartzgirl for a chance to win one of her latest creations.

ArtHop is held in downtown Fresno every first Thursday of the month and starts at 5 p.m. During the event, museums and studios are open until 8 p.m. and free of charge.