McCarthy Building Companies, general contractor for the Resnick Student Union, makes progress on the building on Sept. 27. (Jannah Geraldo/The Collegian)

Resnick Student Union set to open fall 2022 with new amenities

Developers have constructed most of the exterior of the Lynda and Stewart Resnick Student Union (RSU) as university officials plan to open the building by fall 2022.

The 84,000-square-foot building will feature amenities such as a ballroom and 24/7 student access rooms.

Colin Stewart, associate dean of student involvement, said the RSU will provide unique services not previously offered on campus by the current University Student Union. 

Stewart highlighted amenities such as a lactation room, a cafe and three new dining options.

“I truly believe this will change and enhance the student experience in such a significant way from how students engage with one another, how they engage with the campus, I see this building as a beacon, I see this building as a space to draw students in,” Stewart said.

The RSU will also include a third floor that is over 3,000 square feet, which will offer a workspace for leadership, clubs and other organizations, according to Stewart. 

Anissa Romero, a sophomore majoring in language pathology, said the inclusion of these amenities in the RSU has interested her in joining a student organization to help get the full student experience.

“I actually have been thinking about it and just knowing that there’s a lot more open spaces for people to be around. I mean that’s what it really comes down to, for me, to where it makes me think a little bit more of whether I would or wouldn’t. But as of right now, it’s kind of more on the would side,” Romero said.

Kaden Sherrell, a sophomore majoring in agriculture business, said that having the 24/7 student access area would be a tool that would be beneficial to students who are in-person and will have to study for finals.

“I think that’s a surprise that there’s nothing here that’s 24/7, especially during finals week or just in general… A place to come to 24/7 would be beneficial to everybody,” Sherrel said.

The RSU will also feature a multipurpose ballroom space that people can partition into three individual spaces for events along with a three-tiered amphitheater. 

Outdoor movies and other outside events can be held at the RSU with the addition of a grand staircase.

Giovanni Aguayo, a sophomore graphic design major, noted that the new additions could be a way for the campus community to come together and demonstrate what students are doing at the university. 

“I think it’s a good idea… I feel like we should do different movies here and there that people enjoy and maybe they can show like the little documentary films that students are making so people can have a better idea of what students are doing on campus,” Aguayo said.

Students will have over 40 unique spots to use as study areas and over 10 meeting rooms, including a rooftop lounge.

The RSU will also be solar powered and incorporate LEED Gold equivalent standards to promote sustainability and help keep the building green.

“When it comes to sustainability that’s what we’re excited about. What, as users of the building,  can we do? What practices can we use when we put in that will allow us to keep the building as green as possible?” Stewart said.

The architecture of the RSU includes concrete fins on the exterior of the building to help prevent any direct sunlight from hitting the inside of the building during the hottest part of the day. 

Due to the pandemic, the RSU faced supply chain issues and labor shortages causing delays. Additionally, waiting on approval from the State Fire Marshal’s Office made officials push back the projected opening date to fall 2022. 

A majority of construction will focus on interior building systems such as electrical, Fresno State public information officer Lisa Boyles Bell said.