The Save Mart Center is home to various major events throughout the year. (Vendila Yang/The Collegian)

Bull riders bring people together as Save Mart Center reopens

After more than a year without events, the Save Mart Center has reopened to the public again. 

Their second major event, Professional Bull Riding (PBR) Velocity Tour took place over the weekend. 

Fans and riders alike welcomed the return to the arena. Kirk Rhinehart, regional live event marketing director for the tour, explained that this event was originally planned “the weekend everything went down,” being delayed at least three times due to the spread of COVID-19.

Bull rider Bryan Titman was able to do local events in his home state of Texas, but was glad to be back to major tours. 

“It’s amazing,” Titman said. “The louder the crowd, the more we feed off it.” 

Titman, a third-generation bull rider, started his career at 3 years old mutton busting, where kids practice riding sheep to train, in Texas before working his way up the ranks to professional bull riding. At 33 years old today, he’s been professional for 13 years now.

Titman is no stranger to the Central Valley either, having won at the Clovis Rodeo in 2018.

Wes Ibrahimi, a stock contractor and an owner of twelve of the bulls in attendance at the event, was glad to be back in Fresno, saying “There’s always a huge crowd, it’s very impressive.” 

Ibrahimi has been in the bull riding business for 30 years, starting out as a bull rider himself in junior rodeos before getting into contracting. 

“A lot goes into these bulls that people have no idea about,” said Ibrahimi, explaining bulls have to eat right and are oftentimes bred and trained just to buck. Bull riders consequently train to stay mounted on the bull throughout the bucking.

“It takes a special bull to go up against these riders,” Ibrahimi said. “We like to see our bulls win, but we like to see our riders win sometimes because our bulls get more recognition out of it.” 

Fans were just as excited as riders to get back in the saddle. Corina Jaurigue and Trinidad Herrera traveled from Sanger for the event just for “something to do to be back to normal.” 

After being confined by quarantine for the past year, Jaurigue was happy for any reason to get out of the house. Due to the event’s multiple delays she had previously received refunds for her tickets, only to purchase them again for a chance to “feel normal again.”

Bull riders took rapid COVID-19 tests upon arrival at the Save Mart Center, something Rhinehart says they’re used to since PBR events started again in July.

While Rhinehart said there’d been “lots of tests” since the tour started up, he felt fortunate to have avoided any sickness. Titman agreed that the COVID-19 protocols were part of the new normal for events. 

“It sucks, but it’s doable. When life throws something at you, you go with it,” he said.

The Save Mart Center’s current stated health protocols rely on something of an honor system. However, starting Sept. 20, all event guests will be required to show either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours upon entry.

Throughout the event, staff was seen sanitizing high-touch surfaces. Masks were strongly recommended, but not required at this time.