Fresno State outfielder E.J. Andrews Jr. runs the bases in the sixth inning on April 10, 2021, at Bob Bennett Stadium. (Kameron Thorn/The Collegian)

Colorado Rockies take Fresno State outfielder in MLB draft

EJ Andrews Jr. is the second Fresno State player taken in the 2021 MLB Draft.

The Colorado Rockies selected the junior outfielder in the 12th round of the 2021 MLB draft. He was the third outfielder taken in the draft by Colorado.

In his junior campaign, Andrews Jr. had nine home runs and led the Mountain West in walks with 32, earning him second team All-Mountain West.

Andrews Jr. went 380th overall, the highest Bulldog selected by the Rockies and the first Colorado selection since Patrick Hutchenson was taken in 2012.

If Andrews Jr. elects to sign with the Rockies, he could make his way to the Fresno Grizzlies, Colorado’s Low-A Minor League affiliate.

Earlier this month, Andrews Jr. was one of the first athletes to be affiliated with Barstool Sports, which was possible after the NCAA approved new policies for athletes to make money off of their name, image and likeness (NIL).

Teammate Ryan Higgins was selected on day two of the MLB draft by the Baltimore Orioles.