Fresno State softball head coach Linda Garza (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

Linda Garza will not return as head softball coach after five seasons

Linda Garza will step down as Fresno State softball head coach, Fresno State athletics director Terry Tumey announced Tuesday.

With Garza’s five-season-long career at Fresno State from 2017-2021, she leaves the softball program with an overall record of 146-77.

The Bulldogs competed in two NCAA Regional tournaments, obtaining the softball program’s 24th conference title under Garza’s direction.

Garza, a former Fresno State player,­ took a leave of absence on April 19 right before Fresno State’s away series versus Colorado State. Assistant coach Jodie Cox was named interim head coach. No reason was given for Garza’s leave of absence.

“My dream was to recruit championship athletes and people. These strong, bold and talented women of Fresno State beat top teams, earned multiple NCAA tournament berths, won a conference championship and completed an undefeated season” Garza said. “I’m proud of the memories shared, and the preparation sport builds for real life”.

She also signaled her career in softball will continue.

“New goals lie ahead. I’m excited for my future and I will continue to give back to this great sport.” Garza said.

After Garza’s leave of absence, The Bulldogs won the Mountain West championship and made an NCAA regional appearance.

“I would like to thank Coach Garza for her contributions to Fresno State and for her work to uphold our Bulldog tradition of championships,” Tumey said. “She is a passionate coach who added another historic chapter to the legacy of our softball program and helped position us for success in the future. We wish her all the best.”

Fresno State said a national search for the next head softball coach will begin immediately.