The+rodeo+will+be+celebrating+107+years+in+Clovis+this+spring.+%28Brooke+Chau%2FThe+Collegian%29+
The rodeo will be celebrating 107 years in Clovis this spring. (Brooke Chau/The Collegian)

Clovis Rodeo set to take place in-person April 21 to 25

The 107th annual Clovis Rodeo is set to take place April 21 to 25 in-person, after last year’s event was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although fans will be able to watch their favorite cowboys at the rodeo grounds this year, there are several health and safety protocols that must be followed by all participants, staff and fans. 

Masks must be worn at all times, and proof of a completed vaccination card or a negative test result within 72 hours must be provided prior to entry. 

Sierra Pacific Orthopedics will also be offering free rapid COVID-19 testing on-site, beginning on Monday, April 19, through Sunday, April 25. There will be no post-concert show after the rodeo this year. 

In the Central Valley, the Clovis Rodeo is a family tradition for many. 

Chuck Rigsbee has been a part of the board of directors for 27 years. His brother, Dan, works alongside him on the board taking after their father who was also heavily involved with the Clovis Rodeo. Rigsbee’s great-grandfather also helped prepare food for the rodeo back in 1914. 

“My family goes way back as far as the Clovis Rodeo goes. It means a lot to me, it’s part of my heritage,” Rigsbee said. “I also understand that the rodeo means a lot for the community.”

The Clovis Rodeo Association (CRA) has more than 700 members, of which all are volunteers. The CRA works towards raising $250,000 for local charities each year. 

This year, the rodeo industry suffered financially due to COVID-19. The cowboys, bull riders and bareback riders don’t get paid unless they ride and although a few states have allowed rodeos to take place, it was still only a few opportunities for the contestants to make money. 

The community faced a financial impact as well. “Annually, this event brings in about 10 to 12 million each year to the community,” said Rigsbee. Most concession booths at the rodeo are non-profit organizations that rely on this event each year to generate money to keep their organizations going. 

Clovis has always held the rodeo on the last weekend of April for 107 years. It was important to the directors to stick with the original date that was set for events because of traditional reasons and to also not schedule it at the same time as other rodeos. 

“We’re working really hard to make sure that we have a really good rodeo for everybody but it’s gonna have its challenges this year,” Rigsbee said. “We’re hoping that our fans will be a little patient with us, and we’re going to try our best to make this happen and make it safe for everybody.” 

Tickets from last year’s event will be given priority and can be exchanged for tickets for this year’s event at the ticket office. Additional tickets will be sold at the rodeo ticket office starting on Monday, April 19.