Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics.

Fresno State women’s soccer team gears up for shortened 2021 season

Through the course of the pandemic, the Fresno State women’s soccer team’s only form of bonding was through Zoom. The players and coaches stood by in anticipation for the announcement of the season.

The wait is over. 

This Saturday will be showtime for Fresno State as the Bulldogs open the 2021 season on the road versus San Jose State.

“We’ve got kids that want to win and compete,” head coach Brian Zwaschka said. “The idea of actually getting back on the field is awesome and a lot of fun.”

The team is returning to the field, however, under different circumstances. The pandemic has pushed the team to wear masks and play in front of empty bleachers. Additionally, the Bulldogs cannot have non-conference games or preseason scrimmages. 

The Mountain West (MW) also announced in October that women’s soccer was only allowed a 10-match conference-only schedule.

Zwaschka ”” who is entering his 11th season at the helm ”” said this serves a little bit of a disadvantage. Normally those games allowed the coaches to gauge what the team looks like, but instead, the Bulldogs will have to figure it out as MW play progresses. 

“We would play at least one exhibition game where we could give everyone a chance to play and try some things out,” Zwaschka said. “Non-conference games are the final preparations before playing meaningful league games.”

But with an extended preseason with six weeks of training, Zwaschka said the team is feeling pretty optimistic about 2021.

“I feel like we’re kind of seen as a middle team,” forward Jordan Brown said. “It’s going to be interesting when we shock people and get to the top.”

Preseason polls ranked Fresno State as a middle team, predicting the Bulldogs to finish fourth in the MW. But the team is looking to improve each day.

“We want to win,” forward Emma Chivers said. “We want to keep progressing over time, win each game and build upon that. We learn new things every day so I think just building the details we’ve been hammering throughout practice and applying them to the game.”

The Bulldogs finished last season 9-7-4 overall and 5-4-2 in MW play. Fresno State was a senior-heavy team, with 10 seniors graduating last year. 

Among that group were Melissa Ellis and Sydni Lunt who combined for eight goals and 17 points. 

It may seem like a toll on the offense, but Zwaschka said that this team brings back plenty of offensive contributors. 

He pointed out that Chivers and Brown are stepping up at forward. Ele Avery, who led the team in goals (5), is also returning.  Freshmen Katie Dohnel and Kassandra Ceja also bring versatility to play up top and in the midfield.

“We like the idea that we’ve got a variety of players that can play a variety of positions,” said Zwaschka. “The ability to interchange and adapt within a game is very important to us.”

Another pair of players that could add offensively are Jaylin Meza and Kylie Zentner. Both players are junior college transfers from Delta College in Stockton.

“These are two kids that really connect well with each other,” Zwaschka said. “Even though they have some college experience, our style is new to them. They both have been doing great but the learning experience is quicker for them since they have college experience.”

Valentina Vivas and Briana O’Dell are currently competing for the starting position according to Zwaschka. He also added that the competition could continue into MW play by having both players split time in the net.

Zwaschka feels like Bulldogs are set on defense. Fresno State has plenty of returners with Kayla King, Shantay Tamez, Bailee Kern and Kylie Lucero. Zwaschka and teammates have also said that freshman Julia Hardwick has been impressive during training.

“There’s no red flags at all,” Zwaschka said. “I think that [defense] group is doing really well and has benefited from the extended preseason.”

Zwaschka said many players have been rising to the occasion in the midfield, adding that Dohnel and Ceja have been bringing a different dynamic to the team. But Zwaschka can also rely on his veteran players like Robyn McCarthy, Lorena Montanes and Alyssa Renovato.

“It’s going to be an interesting group,” Zwaschka said. “I envision they will share a lot of minutes and be able to throw a few different things at our opponents.”

Zwaschka said the team can incorporate two different formations ”” 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 ”” on the pitch depending on the situation. He noted that one of the team’s strengths is pressing but it also has the luxury of having players that are very technical with the ball at their feet.

“We like the idea of having a ball-oriented game,” Zwaschka said. “We aren’t afraid to press in our opponents half but we’re comfortable playing in a lower block if we feel like strategically that’s going to help us.”

The Bulldogs will play SDSU, SJSU, Boise State, Nevada and New Mexico twice, once at home and on the road. After they get back home from San Jose, the Bulldogs will host UNLV and San Diego State on March 12 and 14. Then, Fresno State will have a four-game road trip from March 19-28 before finishing with three-straight games at home.