Isaiah Hill moves up the paint against San Diego State. (Sam Marshall/ Fresno State Athletics)

Fresno State suffers second loss to San Diego State on Saturday night

The Fresno State Bulldogs looked for revenge for last Thursday’s defeat against No. 25 San Diego State Aztecs but came up short on Saturday night.

The Bulldogs (9-9, 7-9 MW) struggled defensively and offensively through the entire game. While Fresno State shot 43% from the field, the Aztecs made 61% of their shots. It was this difference that led to the Aztecs (17-4, 11-3 MW) picking up a 75-57 win against the Bulldogs at the Save Mart Center. 

In the first three minutes of the game, Jordan Schakel hit a wide-open corner 3-pointer. Trey Pulliam got a defensive stop and then hit an and-one layup. The Aztecs forced another dead offensive play, and Schakel hit another corner 3 in transition. Fresno State called a timeout while the San Diego bench went crazy in celebration.  

The Aztecs had a quick offensive burst, starting the game with a 9-0 run.

“I told them before the game, we’re wired the right way,” San Diego State head coach Brian Dutcher said. “We’re wired hard. It’s not easy winning on the road but we’re wired because of the way we practice and the way we prepare, that we’re ready for these moments.”

Defensively, the Bulldogs’ 2-3 zone crowded the paint, leaving too many Aztec shooters open. 

This is how perimeter players like Schakel and Terrell Gomez thrived in the first-half. Schakel made all 4 of his 3-point attempts from beyond the arc, and Gomez drained two 3’s as well.

“We all just knew we had to go on a run like that,” Schakel said. “I think everyone on this team, especially the more veteran guys, we knew every game after Utah State was a must-win, and it still is.”

San Diego State soon built the lead up to 13 over Fresno State as they led, 21-8, with 10 minutes left in the first half.

However, the Bulldogs picked up their aggression defensively and the roles seemed to have switched for a bit. 

Fresno State started breaking down San Diego State’s zone defense by drawing in players to the paint which led to open 3’s from the corner for forward Leo Colimerio and starting guard Deon Stroud. 

The Aztecs focused on starting forward Orlando Robinson by double teaming him in the paint,  leaving the rest of the team open. Fresno State had its 10-0 run with the lead cut to 3.

Stroud played an important part in building the Bulldogs’ momentum and broke the offensive slump finishing an alley-oop from Robinson. He had a career-high in minutes played leading the Bulldogs in scoring with 17 points. 

“His 3-point shots coming out of the post were good. His mid-range shots are ones that he [has] made,” said Fresno State head coach Justin Hutson, explaining why Stroud played a bigger role today. “He didn’t shoot it great tonight, but I thought he took good shots and he defended better.”

The Bulldogs also were able to get multiple defensive stops in the first half by taking away the Aztec’s 3-point shooting and forcing them to take contested mid-range jumpers and lay-ups.

But when it was time to convert the momentum offensively, it led to eight turnovers in the first half that kept them at a 10-point deficit until halftime, 36-26.

It was no different in the second half. Although Fresno State locked down its shooting at the beginning of the game, turnovers gave SDSU’s guards another chance to attack. The Bulldogs ended the game with 15 turnovers.

Hutson said their transition defense was horrendous. 

The Aztecs scored 30 of their points off turnovers and made 8-of-12 shots from the 3-point line.

“I think that usually comes from young guys missing shots. Got to be a little bit more mature and get back and stop,” Hutson said. “When we miss open looks, I think we got a little discouraged… [The Aztecs] came down and got a lot of 3’s in transition. And give them their credit, they nailed them.”

The Bulldogs overall shot 43% from the field, 25% from beyond the arc and 50% from the free-throw line.  

Fresno State will now head to Las Vegas for a two-game series against UNLV (9-11, 6-7 MW) on Feb. 24 and 26.