Courtesy of whatwillbecomeofus.com

Documentary Review: What Will Become of Us

“What Will Become of Us” is an incredible documentary directed and produced by Stephanie Ayanian in collaboration with Joseph Myers.

This film covers the unfortunate events of the Armenian Genocide in 1915, as the Turks nearly obliterated the Armenian culture and civilization. “What Will Become of Us” features a number of Armenian community members, and highlights their efforts to keep their culture alive. 

Although initially difficult to watch, considering a number of graphic images are shown depicting the genocide, it’s still a very good film and a must-watch. 

During an early section of the documentary, a young woman named Karine Shamlian is seen browsing through a hefty list of relatives within a family tree. The document, which dates back to the 1800s, is heartbreaking to see as the majority of her family were killed during the genocide. 

“The least you can do is not let it have been in vain,” Shamlian said during her segment of the film. She continues, “You feel responsible for who we are as a people.” 

These words by Shamlian, which were very touching to hear, gives weight to her personal obligation as not only a member of her community but as a member of her family as well. As the viewer, you can’t help but feel bad and sympathize with her situation as anyone in her shoes would ultimately feel the same way. I wanted to see more of her in the film and learn more about her family’s past, but sadly her debut was short-lived. 

Andrew Hagopian, a young boy who wishes to follow in his grandfather’s footsteps, is another Armenian community member highlighted in the documentary. His journey to participate in his culture focuses almost entirely on music composition and appreciation. 

“Our music shows us our past and most importantly shows us our future,” Hagopian said as he passionately explains his love for both music and his culture. During his portion of the film, Hagopian is seen recording a variety of musical tunes and practicing with his grandfather. His singing is pleasant to the ears and his wonderful vocal skills emulate that of his cultural ancestors, which brings warmth, dedication and nuance to his segment of the film. 

Michael Aram Wolohojian is another individual from within the Armenian community featured in the film. Wolohojian is an artist who crafts a variety of figures and sculptures which pay respect to his culture. 

Early in his segment, Wolohojian learns that his grandfather was captured during a church service and later became a victim of the genocide. His learning of this incident is tragic. It’s also heartbreaking, and evidence to that notion becomes apparent as he begins to choke-up while explaining the event to the camera.  He ultimately stops and begins to fight back the tears from running down his eyes. This was a strong moment in the film, it was an inspirational moment, but most importantly it highlighted the strength this individual possesses. 

The silver lining to Wolohojian’s situation, however, is that he and his partner are raising two young children, a boy and girl, and aim to pass down his culture to the younger generation. 

Towards the latter half of the film, Wolohojian creates an enormous, yet beautiful, sculpture which is named Migrations. This piece features an array of birds flying out of a reflected platform, which symbolizes freedom from the past. Your reflection from outside the platform, however, is meant for you to see yourself as a product of those of the past. 

Much can be said about “What Will Become of Us.” It provides a look at how the Armenian Genocide has impacted family members and also sheds light on a number of individuals wishing to push the culture forward in a positive direction. It’s an emotional rollercoaster. It’s a tear-jerker. But most importantly, it’s a great film.