The sun sets on Bulldog Stadium during a homecoming game against Colorado State on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Mountain West releases eight-game 2020 football schedule

In three weeks, Fresno State will open up the season on Saturday, Oct. 24 vs. Hawaii. 

The Mountain West (MW) Conference released the 2020 football schedules for each of its teams on Thursday.

Although schedules have been released, they are subject to approval from state, county and local officials.

The Bulldogs will continue with game two of a home stand on Oct. 31 when they play Colorado State.

Fresno State is the only school in the MW to have its home and away games in streaks of two, as the Bulldogs will hit the road for two weeks when they play UNLV on Nov. 7 and Utah State on Nov. 14.  The Bulldogs then come back home to host in-state rivals San Jose State on Nov. 21 and San Diego State on Nov. 28.

The Bulldogs will finish the season on the road playing Nevada on Dec. 5 and New Mexico on Dec. 12.

The MW Championship game will be on Dec. 19, where the two teams with the highest winning percentages will play, instead of the traditional division matchup.

“We are excited to get our student-athletes back on the football field this fall,†MW Commissioner Craig Thompson said.

The MW said all opening games will be played on Saturday, Oct. 24, but added that due to television rights, CBS and Fox Sports will begin a selection procedure to reschedule multiple games to Thursday or Friday. 

Those announcements will be made at a later time.   

Due to the shortened schedule, the MW announced there will not be an opportunity to reschedule any games. 

“We have eight games in eight weeks. I would fully anticipate not all 12 institutions in the MW will play eight games for various reasons,†Thompson said.

Besides the shortened season, there are more changes made to Fresno State’s original MW schedule. 

The Bulldogs will not play Air Force as originally scheduled. 

That game is replaced with the New Mexico matchup on Nov. 19 in Albuquerque, N.M. Additionally, the Bulldogs will now host Colorado State for the second consecutive season.

Not all teams will play eight league games as the Air Force Falcons have two upcoming games against Army and Navy. The Falcons also have an open slot on Dec. 12. 

Boise State will play BYU on Dec. 12, and San Diego State’s opponent on that same day has yet to be named.

The Bulldogs went 4-8 last season, ending the year on a three-game losing streak.

In a news conference last week, head coach Kalen DeBoer said the team started walkthroughs, and a tweet by Fresno State’s football twitter page showed the team working out this week.