“Pride of the Valley” sign sits in front of the Save Mart Center on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2019. Pride of the Valley is a marketing campaign by Fresno State Athletics. (Larry Valenzuela /The Collegian)

Highly ranked prep running back commits to Fresno State

The No. 34 ranked running back in the nation has committed to Fresno State.

Jordan Hornbeak announced his commitment Saturday afternoon on Twitter. The 6-foot, 195 pound senior running back hails from San Joaquin Memorial High School, just 10 minutes away from Bulldog Stadium — the place he dreamed of playing in.

Hornbeak is the highest-rated running back to commit to Fresno State since 2003 according to 247 Sports.

“It was a good mix of academics and athletics. I’ll be majoring in agricultural business and Fresno State is known for their program,” said Hornbeak. “Also it’s a great offensive fit. I’ll be able to showcase every aspect of my game.”

Despite having multiple PAC-12 offers, including Washington, UCLA and Cal, Hornbeak decided to stay in the Valley. The way the Fresno State coaching staff prioritized Hornbeak’s recruitment made him feel like he was the Bulldog’s No.1 target..

“That was one of the biggest factors in the decision,” said Hornbeak. “They put everything they had in on me and made sure the feeling was kept alive and strong throughout our entire process.”

Hornbeak started his career at Chowchilla High School but transferred to San Joaquin Memorial after his sophomore season. 

In 2019, he rushed for 1,697 yards and 18 touchdowns. He helped Memorial win a County/Metro Athletic Conference title and appear in a CIF Northern California Regional Championship.

A Central California native, Hornbeak envisioned himself playing at Bulldog Stadium like Davante Adams and Derek Carr, players he looked up to. 

Next fall, the dream becomes a reality.

Senior Malik Brooks from Desert Pines High School in Las Vegas also committed to Fresno State earlier. While he is listed as a running back, Fresno State recruited him to play defense.