Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics

Fresno State head coach resigns, moving to Oklahoma

Nearly one year after her arrival at Fresno State, women’s tennis head coach Mariana Cobra will be resigning and taking a hiatus from head coaching effective June 12, according to a Fresno State news release on Wednesday.

Cobra, who is originally from Brazil, expressed her gratitude for being a part of the Fresno State program in a social media post. In the post, she also announced she will be moving to Oklahoma to start a family with her soon-to-be wife following her resignation.

“After over 10 years of living and breathing for my passion of coaching, I have decided that 2019-2020 was my last season as a head coach,” Cobra said via Twitter. “Collegiate coaching has provided me many, many opportunities. One of the opportunities was becoming a permanent resident of the country, which allows me to work in any field. I am moving to Oklahoma to be with my soon-to-be wife and start a new challenge!!!”

In 2020, Cobra coached the women’s tennis team to a 7-7 record before the season was abruptly canceled due to COVID-19.

The Bulldogs’ success came off the court, earning its sixth straight NCAA Public Recognition Award with a perfect multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) score of 1,000. 

The Fresno State women’s tennis program earned an 3.88 combined team grade point average for the 2020 spring semester.

During her seven-year career as a Division I head coach, Cobra coached 30 all-conference selections, three conference player of the year awards winners and a 2020 All-Mountain West Singles team Honoree while at Fresno State, North Florida (2016-19), Idaho (2014-16) and Northern Iowa (2012-13).

Cobra thanked her players, the Fresno State Athletic department and Fresno State Athletic Director Terry Tumey in her release.

“Thank you to all of the players and colleagues, who have made me a better leader and person over the last few years. Special thanks to Terry Tumey, Frank Pucher and the Fresno State Athletic family for the support and wonderful experience in my final year of my collegiate coaching.”

In a statement to the athletic department, Tumey thanked Cobra for her time at Fresno State and for bringing sustainability to the program.

“We thank Coach Cobra for bringing stability and positive momentum to our women’s tennis program during her time on campus,” Tumey said.  “Her efforts helped elevate Bulldog Tennis on the court, in the classroom, and in our community.  We wish her the best as she moves on to the next chapter of her personal life.”