Fresno State guard Jarred Hyder draws up a play while being defended by Winthrop guard Russell Jones Jr. during a home game against the Winthrop Eagles on Paul George Day at the Save Mart Center. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Fresno State guard Jarred Hyder enters the transfer portal

The exodus of Fresno State men’s basketball players continues as true freshman starter, Jarred Hyder, has entered the transfer portal.

Hyder is the first starter and the fifth member of the 2019-2020 Fresno State men’s basketball team to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal. He joins former Bulldogs Mustafa Lawrence, Aguir Agau, Chris Seeley and Lazaro Rojas as recent members looking to transfer out of Fresno State.

Hyder retweeted basketball analyst Jeff Goodman’s tweet about his departure from Fresno State. 

The 6-foot-3 and 180-pound freshman guard from San Bernardino, Calif., played one season with the Bulldogs and started in 24 games (played in 26 games).

Hyder was a three-star recruit in Fresno State’s 2019 class and one of four true freshmen who played key roles for the Bulldogs this past season.

Hyder averaged 9.1 points, 2.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game. 

He scored his season-high 26 points against the Winthrop Eagles, where the Bulldogs walked away victorious, 77-74. Hyder, along with earning the assist on Lawrence’s game-winner, scored his season-best five 3-pointers that same game.

Throughout the rest of the season, Hyder would score at least 20 points in four other games which is the third-most by a Fresno State freshman in the last 15 seasons. Hyder was two games short of Paul George who had six 20+ point games during the 2008-2009 season.

Hyder’s older brother, C.J. Hyder, will be entering his senior season with the Bulldogs this upcoming season.

At the moment, recruiting has come to a standstill due to COVID-19. The NCAA announced on April 1 that they’re extending the ban on in-person recruiting until May 31.

With the extension, college basketball teams will continue to recruit via phone calls and written correspondence.