Courtesy Fresno State Archive.
Courtesy Fresno State Archive.

Fresno State expands credit/no credit options for spring semester

Fresno State has announced that all grades of an F will be replaced with a “no credit” grade (NC) exclusively for the spring 2020 semester. 

Undergraduate students will be granted to petition to switch B and C grades to a “credit” grade (CR). Also, students that receive a D can petition to switch the grade to a NC, according to a press release from Fresno State.

Graduate students will have the opportunity to petition to switch their B grades to CR. Their C and D grades can be switched to a NC. 

Beginning on Monday, April 27 through the end of Tuesday, May 26, students will have availability to these options. 

Exceptions to this deadline may be allowed by the registrar on a case-by-case basis. 

According to the press release from the school, students should be aware that any academic department may request to opt out to the new arrangement for their specific classes. 

The department must write a memo explaining the reasons a class should not be permitted CR/NC grades. The dean of the department will evaluate the request and send it to be finalized for an approval by the provost. 

Some classes may be opted out by the departments such as; A course tied to a credential program, a course tied to a licensing board that requires students to receive letter grades, and/or a course that is part of an accredited program that requires students to receive letter grades. 

A major course with a grade of CR will count toward completion of the department’s major requirement as a one-time exception for spring 2020 if the department does not opt out from the arrangement. 

The university said it hopes the new accommodations are helpful to students as they strive to successfully complete the spring 2020 term and beyond.