Fresno State running back Josh Hokit barreling over Sacramento State defenders during 34- 20 victory at Bulldog Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Four Fresno State football players join NFL teams as undrafted free agents

Four Fresno State football players are heading to the NFL as undrafted free agents.

Tight ends Cam Sutton and Jared Rice signed a deal with the Carolina Panthers and the Los Angeles Chargers, respectively. 

Defensive back Juju Hughes signed a deal with the Los Angeles Rams, and running back Josh Hokit signed a deal with the San Francisco 49ers. 

Sutton transferred to Fresno State from Riverside City College and played two seasons for the Bulldogs.

The 6-foot-6 and 226 pound tight end was poised to make a mark for Fresno State, but only recorded 112 receiving yards and 34 rushing yards in 2019.

Rice played four seasons with Fresno State and broke multiple records, setting the program record for most career receptions by a tight end with 113 and the program record for career receiving yards by a tight end with 1,365.

Rice’s best year as a Bulldog was in 2018 when he caught 55 passes for 664 receiving yards. 

He was an All-Mountain West Second Team selection that same year where he started all 14 games for the ‘Dogs.

Hughes played in four seasons with the ‘Dogs, posting 102 tackles and grabbing five interceptions. 

Hughes started his career in special teams for the Bulldogs before getting time in the secondary.

In 2018, Hughes started all 14 games at strong safety for Fresno State and was an All-MW Second Team selection. In his final season, Hughes was third on the team with 80 tackles and tied his career-high with 11 tackles in one game at USC.

In three seasons with the ‘Dogs, Hokit ran for 973 yards on 228 carries and recorded eight touchdowns. He also caught 21 passes for 163 yards in 39 games played. 

Just a few weeks ago, Hokit was getting ready to compete in the U.S. Bank Stadium as an All-American wrestler. 

However, as the NCAA wrestling championship got canceled, he quickly shifted his fous to professional football, citing interest from two teams in an interview with KSEE24 – the 49ers and the New England Patriots.