ASI meeting held on Zoom on Wednesday, April 22, 2020. (Zaeem Shaikh/The Collegian)

ASI announces appeal on student court decision

An appeal has been submitted against the student court’s decision to disqualify the Associated Student Inc. (ASI) president-elect.

On April 9, the student court ruled that Ruby Muñiz had violated the ASI code of ethics as she promised gift cards in exchange for proof of votes in her favor. The court ruled she also violated its code of conduct for falsifying her involvement in the creation of the expectant mother parking program.

In a special meeting held on Wednesday, April 15, the senate approved the recommendations of the court that Muñiz be disqualified for those violations.

The appeal was submitted on Monday, April 20 and will be presented to Dean of Students Carolyn Coon, who will be acting as a designee for university president Dr. Joseph I. Castro.

In the weekly ASI meeting, Senator for Athletics and Recreation Fidel Moreno-Meza discussed the outcomes of the appeal. According to Moreno-Meza, if the student court’s decision is overturned, Muñiz can take up the presidency. 

Moreno-Meza also said that if the overturn were to happen, it would be left up to the recall policy stating that it would take 10 percent of student body signatures to then recall anyone in office and hold a special election. 

If Coon decides to side with the court’s decision, it would be up to the senate to decide what actions to take next. 

Moreno-Meza also stated in the special meeting the previous week, that if Muñiz is disqualified, her votes will be nullified. 

At that point, the senate has the power to decide whether it would like to have the runner-up of the election become president or to have a new election for president between presidential candidates Elizabeth Rocha-Zuñiga and Nailia Estrada.

According to Moreno-Meza, Coon will make her decision either on Friday or Monday depending on her availability.