The+Fresno+State+Student+Cupboard+on+Oct.+2%2C+2016.+
Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian
The Fresno State Student Cupboard on Oct. 2, 2016.

Student Services to move to Zoom

Fresno State’s campus is switching non-essential programs and services over to digital platforms, according to a University Communications email sent out by President Dr. Joseph I. Castro on Tuesday, March 17. 

“In an effort to do our part to limit the spread of COVID-19, and per direction from the CSU Office of the Chancellor, effective Friday morning, March 20, most campus offices that are not essential to direct student support (see explanation below) will transition to working remotely, while virtual instruction continues,” Castro said in the email. 

The Henry Madden Library will only be open for essential services. However, students will not be allowed to use the library for study or research purposes, according to the library’s website. 

“Beginning Friday, March 20, use of the Madden Library will be limited to essential services including the DISCOVERe Hub and other library resources (including the Center of Faculty Excellence) that are focused on supporting delivery of virtual instruction,” Castro said in the email. The learning center and library consultation will both be available through Zoom. 

The Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management said that the university has purchased an additional 1,000 iPads to loan to students. It also said, “The University has purchased 1,350 mobile hotspots to loan to students who do not have access to high-speed internet for virtual instruction.”

Many other student services are going virtual, including the career development center, the writing center and the advising center. All of these resources will be available and allow students to make appointments and meetings through digital platforms such as Zoom. 

Other services are closed completely, including on-campus dining (excluding the residential dining hall) and the Student Recreation Center. 

Some services that are considered essential will remain open throughout the rest of the semester. 

According to a post from the Health Center’s Facebook page, the Student Health and Counseling Center will remain open for its normal hours.

The Student Cupboard, according to Castro in the email, will also remain open and continue to provide students with food and necessary hygiene items.

Student Housing will remain open, Castro said in the email. However, students who can leave are encouraged to return home. The dining hall will also remain open with to-go options for students. 
Other essential student services that will remain open, according to the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, include: Student Accounting Services, Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship and Services for Students with Disabilities.