Fresno State releases an update to the fall 2020 plans. (Jorge Rodriguez/The Collegian)

Refunds are being issued to students for parking permits and graduation fees

Fresno State is now offering refunds on parking permits, graduation fees, caps, gowns and tassels to minimize the financial impact on students as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

According to a press release, students are able to be refunded 50% of the spring semester parking fees (automobiles – $46.50 and motorcycles – $8.50). 

To request a parking refund, students must email [email protected] and include their first and last name, student ID number and parking permit number for spring, annual or motorcycle permit by Wednesday March 25, 2020 at 5 p.m.

The release states that when the email is received, the student’s permit will be deactivated immediately. 

Fresno State will also refund the commencement portion of the $51.50 graduation fee, which is $34.50. The university added that it will continue to explore how and when to celebrate Commencement 2020, depending on the quickly changing situation.

Since commencement will not be conducted in May, Fresno State is issuing a refund to all customers for their cap, gown and tassel (Bachelors: $37.79, Masters $77.74).

Students who choose not to obtain a refund can still pick up their cap, gown and tassel at the Kennel Bookstore, but Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro said in a tweet that he suggests that [students] accept the refund.

March 19 was the last day for students to pick up their grad boxes, but Fresno State Alumni said on Twitter that students who haven’t picked it up will receive an email with more information about how to get it.

The university has also said that students are strongly encouraged to return home as soon as possible, and students who leave will receive a pro-rated refund for housing and meal plans.

Students who do not have another primary home may remain in student housing while adhering to social distancing requirements.

On the topic of tuition, Fresno State said they will continue to charge tuition and mandatory system and campus-based fees for all enrolled students.

In the release, Carolyn Coon, acting vice president of student affairs and enrollment management and dean of students, said it is important to clarify that tuition is the same for both traditional online and in-person CSU courses during the regular school year, and that the online classes provide the same material. There will be ample opportunities for interaction with faculty and the same diploma credits as more traditional classes do, even if the delivery methods are very different.